Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Still working on the motor to get it to run right at idle and low speeds. It does great on higher RPMs so I don't think the switch box is the problem. From everything I have read, it should have problems even on high RPMs. I did finally get enough courage to take the carb off and apart. I followed the service manual and gave all the parts a nice bath in some chem-dip. I also sprayed all the little passages with a spray cleaner. The thing came back together nicely with all new gaskets and seals. Unfortunately i didn't help much. So now I'm waiting for gaskets and seals for the reed block. Once I get them I'll take the block out and inspect it. Hopefully I don't need a new one, perhaps just the seal needs replacing. But we'll see. The carb looked great while I had it apart so it seems to be in good health. I did get the enrichment valve cleaned out so now it works much better.

I did find the owner's manual for the motor on eBay and ordered it. I got it today and while reading through it I found a table with propeller information. I found that I can put a 10-1/4" x 14-1/2" 3-blade prop on it and it should bring the top speed up several MPH. I ordered me one of those props and can't wait to give it a try.

I had the boat out on the lake again today and had 5 people on board. She had to work a little harder to get up planing but once up had no problems at all. On a calm lake she's a lot of fun to ride around in. Waves tend to point out the drawback of the flat bottom but it's ok. I don't regret taking the time to build her even for a moment.

Last edited:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I have searched the forum for an answer to a question I have but have not found any information, so I thought I'd ask it here. I have received a tax form for my boat where they request the fair market value of it and the motor. I have no idea how to decide what that would be. I could list what it cost me to build it including the cost of the motor, but I'm thinking that's not necessarily the same thing. Anyone here have any advice for determining the fair market value?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Motor and trailer FMV shouldn't be hard to estimate, as they were purchased separately, price paid should be appropriate.

For the boat, material cost total* seems fair to estimate tax value, IMO, your labor was free and should be non-taxable.....

As long as assessed tax value wouldn't effect your insurance coverage or payout.....

Unlike insurance, you don't want to use replacement cost as a basis......

*Or the total you told the Admiral you spent ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FMV is what it would sell for, not what you have in it.

For tax purposes, $1500-$2500 for boat, motor and trailer

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Been away for awhile and it's great that you completed this one as it is very nicely done. Great job you did yourself proud.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I'm pondering a bilge pump setup and have looked at those cheaper 600GPH submersible ones. The problem is that I would like it to sit back by the transom since the motor weighs that end of the boat down more so water tends to gather back there. I don't have too much room though with the tank, spare tank and battery sitting back there. One thought I had was a low profile type pump that could sit under the floors but that would require a pump that's less than 2" tall. I haven't found anything like that so does anyone know if such a thing exists? Another thought I have is to mount a strainer under the floors and run a hose up to a remote mounted pump that I can mount above the floor somewhere. Or I'll just have to rearrange a bit back there so I can fit one of those submersible ones. Any thoughts or advise?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I haven't seen anything that short. As bad as I hate to say it, I think I would lean towards rearranging things.

They used to make a plug for your rear drain that was actually a one way valve. When you are on plane it automatically drains the bilge due to gravity. I haven't seen one in a while and they always made me a bit nervous.......but the one I had never failed. I would still have a pump somewhere for flooding, but that might work to drain out the small accumulations in the bilge.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't seen anything that short. As bad as I hate to say it, I think I would lean towards rearranging things.

They used to make a plug for your rear drain that was actually a one way valve. When you are on plane it automatically drains the bilge due to gravity. I haven't seen one in a while and they always made me a bit nervous.......but the one I had never failed. I would still have a pump somewhere for flooding, but that might work to drain out the small accumulations in the bilge.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of plugs like that. Seems neat as long as you don't get debris in them keeping them open. :lol::facepalm:
I did a quick check on Amazon (I had the site up :lol:) and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digger-Anchor-Bail-R-Matic-Automatic-1-way/dp/B075G2CZPM

Is this the type of plug you were referring to?

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
So the weather has finally turned to nicer warmer weather down here in the southeast, so yesterday I decided to dig into the outboard and check on those reed valves.
IMG_3375.JPG
I'm certainly no expert at this, but it certainly seems like they should all be closed. Being an old motor, finding brand new reeds will be difficult. I did come across a complete assembly though that looked healthy and supposedly has been overhauled by a certified technician. So I'm waiting for that now. In the meantime I did manage to get the ones I have to close a whole lot better than when I first took them out. Not 100% but much, much closer. After putting it back together I cranked it up in the driveway (with water hooked up) and did some adjustments. It seemed to run better. So I took it to the lake for a test run. And it actually idled without stalling on me in the water. Even in gear. So I think I'm on the right track.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Great thread and great boat! Congratulations! I will definitely be perusing this one more as I get close to the plywood repair stage in my own project. I admit I skimmed through pretty fast. But I wanted to mention it looks like you still need decals for your motor. (I could be wrong, I did skim). If so I might suggest nymarine.ca No affiliation but I've gotten a few things from him for my Johnsons.

Cheers.......................Todd

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like you’re making great headway. I keep getting notifications of posts,but iBoats tells me I don’t have authority to view them when I click on them. Weird!
Cheers

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I had the same thing happen....think they may have had a glitch of some sort. Seems to be working now.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
This is what the Mercury I have on the boat used to look like:
Mercury-25HP.JPG
After some epoxy putty and light sanding, a nice cover of phantom black paint:
IMG_3379.JPGIMG_3383.JPG
And then the decals for the finishing touch:
IMG_3388.JPGIMG_3389.JPG
At some point this summer I'll get the lower cowling painted and replace those decals as well.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Congratulations on every front Pekstrom! I have followed your project from the very beginning and have not officially congratulated you on your combination of dogged perseverance and skilled craftsmanship to see this project all the way through!!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations on every front Pekstrom! I have followed your project from the very beginning and have not officially congratulated you on your combination of dogged perseverance and skilled craftsmanship to see this project all the way through!!

Why thank you sir! I appreciate the kind words. It sure has been a fun project. So much fun in fact that I wouldn't mind another one! :facepalm::lol: