Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh wow! It's been a while. The new timing system seems to be working out so far.

Pcola, I'm glad y'all are ok. I know there's been a bit more rough weather in your area sinc last time so I hope y'all are still ok?

I'm looking to pick back up soon on the motor assembly. During my adjustment to the new electronic ignition system I have been sidetracked on one of my vintage (home) comupter projects... Too many hobbies.

I hope everyone who celebrate it has a great Thanksgiving!
We made it through the end of hurricane season okay. I’ve been totally consumed with throwing and firing pottery. I still have three or four more trees to take down that are threatening our fence and garage. We had northern weather earlier this week and lost the gas valve on the furnace with parts not here until Monday. Also did in our banana trees and many flowering shrubs. At least we have no COVID in the family and had a great Thanksgiving. I hope you did also!
Cheers

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Hi everyone!

Man, time sure flies. It sure has been a crazy year! How's everyone doing? I have had several other projects going so I haven't had much time for the old Merc 350. I haven't had a chance to take Squirt out yet either so I'm going to have to plan to do that soon.

Today I decided to tinker with the 350 for a bit. Honing is something I have never done (as if I have done much else of this stuff before! 😂 ) and I have to admit I dredded it a bit. But today I put that flex-hone to use. I seriously doubt it is perfect, but I think it turned out ok. Unfortunately I didn't snap any pictures of the walls, my hands were too messy to grab my phone. But I have mostly 45-ish degree scratches in the walls now. Should be better than t was.

I also managed to get both pistons installed. It took a bit of negotiating with the ring compressor but no broken rings this time! I also decided to do a test fit of the crank shaft and needle bearings.
IMG_5652_small.jpg
This is just a test. I need to take the crank shaft back off and install the main bearing / reed assembly but I wanted to see how it fit together. Besides, I need to put all that bearing assembly grease to good use! :D

Next time I'll work on that main bearing. Then I need to install the new bearings in the end caps and then put it all together.

Well, until next time...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ah, you spent the time dreaming how to hone and put those rings on the pistons! Practice makes perfect, Pek. :)