can of worms?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like it works just fine !

it does!! I'm not a movie producer :lol: and the audio on my old Fuji works better than the video - you can hear that dog barking 3 or 4 houses away!! lol

Looks and sounds better here - some of the weld reinforcement might look questionable; it's because I didn't cut back on the wire feed when I got to the cap. I found it "best" to leave the wire speed alone; messing with it would cause more problems than fix.

If I had a burr motor, could've blended that out - doesn't matter, penetration is there.
If anyone notices? that's a drop of water vibrating on the white cap. Scared me at first!!

It looks homemade like the rest of the boat; to me, that's a plus.
Cards on the table, if you hadn't "dared me", probably wouldn't have taken this on......:lol::lol::lol::lol:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Shade tree that works. I like it, my kind of thinking.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Shade tree that works. I like it, my kind of thinking.

LOL!!!!! why didn't I think of that?? Bailing wire and duct tape an umbrella to the cowling; if it works, weld a bracket to the t/t and operate from the bow trim switch :D

Already have enough weight back there :facepalm: :lol: Am only fishing in protected waters, but "might" eventually add 4 or 6" of freeboard - at least back aft???? Don't know yet, only been out the one time for just a few minutes.
That shouldn't add but another 20 to 40lbs to an already 2,000+ pound boat.

Seacast may be lighter than plywood, but I put a LOT!! more glass back there. It's solid like you wouldn't believe!! Can feel it when ya drive; almost an unreal difference in how she handles and responds.... can't say enough about that

Wake throwing boats rarely even attempt navigating where I go - but there be the occasional fool.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
sorry but not!! More perfectly imperfect work; still waiting on a day I can run again...

DSCF0002.JPG

used that tiller arm extension after all; drilled an off-center hole equaling out the steering. Cut the threads out of original hole to allow bolt to slide through to pin - steering lock. Hole in the "thing" is a few thousandths more towards the motor - causing the bolt to bind, helping it stay put; the hole isn't threaded but the bolt will thread by hand.
Doesn't matter if it wallers a little over time....

Steering arm came off a Mercury, unknown year or horsepower; what I need is one "L" shaped. Fits fairly tight!! rubbed some paint off getting it like it is, LOL. Doesn't rub or hit anywhere, this'll do for awhile.

Made this transom saver just killing time. Pull the pin and throw it all in the splashwell.

DSCF0004.JPG

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
just killing time..... That 13x19c turned 5100 which is OK; felt pretty good all around, but... Need a new battery for GPS/sonar, felt like I lost a couple mph?, which is OK2. Good mid-range and stuff, but lacks the thrust of the 21p throughout the R's once I'm on plane.
However, it could stand a few dollars (lol) work.
She really flies with that prop; oughta make a good spare.

Salvage yard FINALLY had a 20p prop that fits (13 spline); traded Raker 24. It's a 13.25x20p that came off of something??? But the hub isn't recessed like most props?? Having a thrust washer made at the machine shop( for how much, don't know yet LOL).
No pics cos it's still at the shop.

Can't stop thinking on "how much better she rides" even though I've only had it out twice - never noticed the stern dig until it was gone; seemed normal for hull design and weight of motor. But it takes longer to come to full stop :lol:
If the weather will break, I won't have to stop!!!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
what style or did this prop come off of?

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

That's the thrust washer the machinist made for it (guessing he had too much time in it, plus a chunk of SS to charge me what it's worth - at zero dollars, guess I'll be paying that off forever :rolleyes: ; flip it over, the shoulder fits in the recess. Is it just a different style hub bushing? - not familiar with....
13 spline and very well built (prolly OEM something), have no idea what it came off of?? curious if ya know

PS: it's a 13.25x20p

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
oh the wait..... but catching a few things; needed to take another .030" off the thrust washer for snugger fit and cotter keyhole alignment.
Sheen shop does a lot of hydraulic work; letting him install new wipers and seals cos it still leaks a tiny bit in this cold weather.

Won't know until I go, but am wondering about increased lift from blade area size with that prop? Noticeably larger and WILL change things......

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
this monster I've created, lol, isn't that big but has all the problems of anything else and more. Everyone tells me "just go fish" but it isn't just that for me - think we've seen that from the length of this thread LOL!!!

Trying to "prop" a boat on an untested design with a motor that hasn't really been run either..... and then there's the weather errrrrrr!! lol
Just for now lol, ended up with a 19p that didn't need any work; the $40 19p need $150 worth of repair.
At 5200 rpm, she sounds like where I want it on top; can get 50/100 more in the right conditions, but it's NEVER right around here. Ran a can of Power Tune and that took care of a flooding problem when starting cold. Plus helping everywhere else.... might benefit from another.

$40 19p would turn 5400 or so; blade size had been cut down , plus a tip needing repair, just didn't grip like it should...... Fast enough for my butt in this little fiberglass Jon Boat just as it is; especially in the waters I run. If your kill switch gets used, it's probably more than the motor that dies..........

If I want to call this a problem, and do - being "stern heavy" especially after moving the motor back, am getting some bobble (porpoise) at WOT in wind chop. Trim it out!! that's easy enough.... BUT I want all I can get :lol:
Trim tabs are a thought but don't feel like I want to go through the extra trouble at this point - just go fish.

But this weekend will probably build a tail fin for the cav plate, just to have something to do, LOL. Really not needed for hole shot and probably too high to make a difference at WOT. Haven't had anyone follow me and can't look close enough while running, just go fish..... NOT!! water's too high

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Maybe it's time to become a bank fisherman. :D

LOL!!!!!!!

Mostly waiting on the weather, that bobble is nothing but me being too something.
and PS: the t/t has quietened way down since that video and replacing the seals etc.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
the RACE!! (unofficial lol) Dang... it's always something. Trying to get some fishing in, water's too high, rain muddy etc. Then messing with "old stuff" trying to get it right at the same time.

GPS 10 miles out and up in a creek; had 5 Crappie and calling it a day. Came busting out of the creek into the river, headed to the Ditch (gas line). Rounded a bend and there was a guy n his dad easing along in the middle of the river and almost at the mouth of the Ditch (apx 7ml out). A ways off still, I backed out of it to see which way they were going.

Still far enough away that I didn't have to back off completely; I followed him in but stayed back. With the water up, there can be a lot of crap floating in there, and then there's the stuff you can't see....
BUT, you still want to fly through that ditch to a degree. No rookie, he maintained 30 to 35 while I followed at least a 100yds back.

He busted out into the river it connects; something I NEVER DO THERE!!!! because of the blind spot. BIG BOAT traffic and there can be a lot of crap floating underneath the surface in areas as such.
Nah... I hung back some, for safety reasons, and had nothing to prove. Hung back there and a few other places because that swamp will KILL YOU!!! if you aren't careful.

With a few tight turns and short straightaways, I was back to being as close as I'll EVER follow another boat (50')- that being if I know the person, where we are going, etc.... I was out of the throttle again, BUT!! lol

That was the last hard turn before hitting some "open water"; and since he had hammered down and gotten away some because "I let him", I obliged him and gave chase again. I was "only" paying attention to the water and where "I" was going instead of "exactly what kind of boat he had" - at the ramp, found it to be an 18' Crestliner with a 115 Honda E-TEC.

Coming out of the creek that goes to the ramp, another boat was coming out and he had to slow for the wake; while I took it at WOT. And resumed dogging him through that creek - it was all in good fun. I wasn't out to prove anything, but guessing he was....
PHOTO FINISH??? :lol:

He's at least a 1000 pounds lighter; if I were him, I'd be scratching my head....

Hmmmmmm..... he wouldn't even talk to me LOL. But his dad did for several minutes :lol:

I HAVE NO CLUE!!! what possessed me to push on my prop when I got back?? but it jingled just a little.... hmmmmmmm...

DSCF0003.JPG

broke the thrust washer and spun the hub - shiny underneath outer washer; and still whipped an E-TEC === 2000 and something? much newer and technologically advanced; and mine is crank rated HP not prop.
A 3 foot longer boat with more beam but most of his boat was outta the water being much lighter - not mine, I have a lot more contact with the water after adding Herculiner and redistributing some weight. Which is a good thing in this little boat with this much power.

I should get my prop back today but it needs to sit over the weekend. Maybe?? lol next week if I can stop fishing and put aside other stuff, I'll make some half baked video. It really isn't all that much, but I am impressed.

PS; the conditions haven't been right but I still gotta go......... it's what I live for..... (in part)