can of worms?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
100% correct on that!! Power tools in general aren't very forgiving and a grinder w/cut off wheel is at top of the list when it comes to fiberglass. Don't know why i'm so reluctant to just use my chainsaw and be done - I'll have to consult my "excuse" book and get back with ya... :rofl:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That was it, the blade was so sharp it would dig grab and cut at low rpms. Give it some gas and it more or less floats until applying pressure - chainsaw etiquette 101. The blade's a bit duller after finding a few screws, also. No doubt my neighbors will be glad when I'm done...

I find it funny (NOT) how when I'm working on my boat, no one wants to help or has time to. But when............. you know the story.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep sounds like ya got the technique down ...Makes a different chatter when it hits glass ...

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
but it's still quite a workout... especially since I no longer work. Guess I'm not paying much attention to sound or feel because I can see it all real well. Also, the dampening system on that Husky is pretty good; wish I could say the same about the exhaust system!!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
according to their formula, ten gallons is a little more than I need for this transom. But am wondering "what kind of mileage I'll get area wise?" Expansion/volume given ambient temperature etc.
I'll get into exactly why later

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It does not expand .. The volume you mix is what ya get .. The transom on my MFG took a little over 13 gallons ... I,m thinking depending on the size of the gussets you want to make you may come up a little short ... Check your calculations carefully . The last stringer system I poured I was a bit short and had to order some more ...

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This might be a "duh huh" statement for some of us, but...... I prefer to work with both feet on the ground - saves the back and other safety reasons. Simply raising or lowering the bow allows for better positioning for the task at hand. Yet another blinding flash of the obvious for some. the video I watched had some guy using a chainsaw off of a stool - gohead wildman!! lol I get my excitement in other ways today :lol:

I didn't bother counting them, gonna guess there were at least 60+ screws through both pieces of plywood in this transom - all the way to the bottom. No problem up high cos I used my Milwaukee and dodged 'em. Down low, I couldn't tell where the were until hitting 'em and then dug 'em out with a screwdriver. But they took a toll on my blade - didn't have much left anyway. (of course, wasted half an hour looking for my round file)

Discovered that a 9/16 drill bit did a great job getting in places I couldn't use the saw; also did a fantastic job of removing almost all of the remaining wood, when used like a burr bit. However lol, I still have quite a bit more to do (and consider) before prepping... which leads me to this...

It's no big deal and Seacast makes this as painless as possible; except for the cost. The math I did using their equation and my transom in the extreme - 54" x 24" x 1.5" = 9.72 gallons. I do not need 24" of transom; the sides are raised only for the deck. If I have a 400lb Hippo sitting back there, those pieces are minimally load bearing. Only going to do 20" port to starboard and glass the needed four inches.

At 54" x 20" = 8.1 gals needed. My point is this - more Seacast is not in the budget for awhile :lol: and am not looking to make this mess more than once!!! There's a very little bit of moisture in the flooring just as it meets the transom in a couple of places. The floor is 1/2" Marine plywood and all of it glassed - remember, this is the bilge compartment and carries no load that far back.

But am considering cutting that cancer out and filling with Seacast in a one shot pour. Which all means more math, not a problem, but just how exact is Seacast? Some leftover is always better than not enough

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I said cancer, but it's really only wet, and only enough to feel it. I thought about flooding the area with a gallon or two of antifreeze, let it sit and draining back out to kill bacteria? It's all solid for now and may outlast my butt anyway?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Are you talking about the decking or the stringers ?
As long as you use there formula and put in all the right measurements it should be pretty darn close ... You can always call Sabina over there and go over anything .. They are very helpful and can answer any questions if your pondering anything ..

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
yes they are very helpful, have only emailed thus far - quick response. Just pondering for now.... decking; stringers are cloaked in heavy glass such that the wood only adds weight? And if they're wet, more weight!! but doubt it. Like I said, I have 17 gallons of resin in this beast somewhere? Cos it sure isn't in the top deck or hull.

I'm definitely going to replace the floor decking foundation back there, all the way across. I guess it was more for containment floatation foam than floor support? Only 1/2" thick and barely if? touches transom at hull.

Not about to do anything until I've thought this through and through and..... uuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhh need to stop by Sam's and get a pallet of BC's!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
says 'not authorized to update this post" oh well ^^^edit^^^ had to go back and look because what I really need is a lobotomy; but the doctor said the operation would be useless cos there's nuttin there! :lol: This tub is only 15'4" and the stringers may be 12' - the keel is 1x6" and two 1x4" p&s. Those were encapsulated w/matt. Then I went back and ripped three 2x4's laminated, and triple wrapped with matt. Stainless screws through decking into stringers with csm and resin over entire floor.

it's all just the kinda stuff that happens when left unsupervised. Might have wasted a gallon for various reasons, and that it matters, that was the count before re-doing my livewell or anything else.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
doctor says "not to take BC's, but for me to take 325mg aspirin daily". In the first place, I don't have any blockage or restriction to blood flow. Secondly, even buffered aspirin nauseates me - stomach growls and can often feel that little pill eating away at my stomach (with food).
On the other hand, a BC on an empty stomach causes no discomfort. I "think" lol that because it's already dissolved, a BC is not so localized as to eat at the stomach lining. BC stands for Boat Candy, so it is sort of a food group!!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
it's a good thing my customer is patient. Slow going combined with taking my time... what's the rush? Am discovering this to be a real job! Liking that aspect, so far. Woods out, have a lot of cleanup, and did the math to figure out my best rout? :lol: Going to do a gusset and leave the rest; if I'm still fishing in twenty years from this boat, doubt it'll make a difference.

However, not certain it can be seen that well from this pic, am finding resin with a fair amount of hardener under the wood. Do I want to get this out?http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/003_zpsxv9u5ksh.jpg.html]

I circled the spot on photobucket???? oh well... after getting the wood out, it's the whole thing. Guess I need remove the drain, too[/URL]

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you get all the wood out your fine no need to take out the pb .. But do a good grinding job on the skin and clean with lots of acetone ..
How far down does the groove go ? Your new inside skin really needs to be tabbed into the hull bottom if you can ... Is the area just to the right of your yellow line a raised deck ? if so it needs to be cut back some to tab the new skin in. JMHO ...

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I must be going blind, or are you just messing with me? lol I have a yellow line on photoB, but not on what I see here??????????? Agreed on tabbing, was waiting to see how the old transom came out first before determining how much decking I wanted to remove.

Yes, raised deck - sitting directly on top of stingers. The hole, left top of yellow was livewell fill; gouge on right was for pipe - all to be relocated. The mound further up is brass drain. I got further along after pic, just needed a break lol.
And it is sad picture for depth perception. What do I call this? a picture legend? :lol:
Top right ---- is the bilge sump, maybe 3" deep
Inline with the drain ------ is bilge pump base
Transom originally two 3/4" plies at 13 degrees

Assuming the angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the circumference of the hypotenuse, the groove currently measures 3.25" c/l and 2.75 p&s.
Forgive me, I haven't been getting out much, lately!! :lol:
That it matters? been running near double oil in my saw due sustained rpms with no load. And have a fan blowing smoke!! so I can breath. Never did find my saw file, took my wore out burr bit and drill

PS: as long as an opinion is based on experience, it matters. Thanks!!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess we all figured I'd have some worms on here at some point? These next pictures are as close as we'll get this go round. And not as bad as anticipated, YEAH!! I was under more than just financial stress when I took on the boat; seem to remember that the sump had a flimsy perimeter and stuck a piece of wood in there for backing while I globbed some glass around it. :facepalm: And at this point, no idea why I never straightened that out. And I do not polish the brass for the Brass!
http://

Port side had the most water and that was next to none - wouldn't fill a shot glass. It's cold out and what's there hasn't evaporated, just saying. Darkened spotsin decking are from grinder burns, but was a tad wet back by the transom. Hopefully in the nick of time. My worst fears have been laid to rest!!
edit__ and the two by fours added to stringers stopped at the sump both port and keel. Don't ask why :lol:, trust me, there was a reason, but six years ago????

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
hijack!! I found this in my yardshed back in 1990, and have never found anyone that could tell me anything about it. Except for, "it's a thermos", REALLY??? I can't find any history on it etc. My dad and I used to fish with the man that owned the house when I was young, but he's long since passed. Any of y'all know?

http://

The cap screws on a 1/2gal Mason Jar holding the two styrofoam halves together

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well that's simple .... It's made to keep your moonshine cold/warm so no one can tell what yer drinking . :watermelon: