Johnson Side Controls to top Binnacle conversion

ericdraven

Cadet
I am trying to get my pontoon back to normal.
I have a 1993 Spectrum "18 Fish" pontoon that had a binnacle throttle control (shown in the 1st attached pic) mounted to the console when I bought it. I swapped the 40 HP merc for a 2002 9.9 Johnson 4 stroke and the motor came with stock side OMC controls with a key (push electric choke) and a fast idle lever and a single lever throttle/gear control. Standard stuff. I have everything hooked up (shown in pic 2) and it works but the way I had to route the cables and mount the controls, forward is pulling back on the main handle and reverse is by pushing the handle forward. This is confusing for anyone driving my boat.
I am wanting to put a binnacle control back on the console so what do I need to do? Can I buy just any Johnson binnacle and use the same cables from my side control? Will the cables just pop out and snap into a binnacle. I can mount a new ignition (what one would I need) or pull the one out of my controls and mount on my console. I have seen some used binnacles on ebay for under $100 but not sure what all needs to be included with it. I don't want to learn a $100 lesson.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• photo214863.jpg
    photo214863.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214864.jpg
    photo214864.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I would think an OMC product would work. Before you purchase you should talk to BRP or a dealership to confirm.

There are aftermarket units also but not sure if the cables would match up.

Then go shopping for a good deal.