Swim/Emergency Ladders

Nizoj

Cadet
Hello!

What do you use as a swim ladder or emergency ladder? I was thinking of just tying a loop in a line and hanging it over the side if someone is in the water ... just enough to get a foothold and pull yourself up in the boat. I'm sure there are lots of other ideas/products out there. What do you use?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ever try getting into a boat by crawling / pulling yourself over the gunwale? Next to impossible...

As a fisherman I didn't want anything permanently attached the transom so I went with a removable "dive" ladder on my last boat.

It worked, but I boat alone quite a bit and wanted something that I didn't have to deploy between uses.

I now have a wireless kill switch to shut down the boat. Stand on the lower unit to get back in the boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume that you are inquiring ladders for Sibs and Ribs uses, right ? If so...

That's precisely what you need, a rope ladder is the fastest to deploy at any moment and the least bulky of all ladders. Can install it up front, middle or aft depending on where are the seat patches located or at both rope sides. It's a matter of standing on loop, lock the knee against side tube and pull yourself in....

Happy Boating

Attachments

• photo339188.jpg
    photo339188.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo339189.jpg
    photo339189.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo339190.jpg
    photo339190.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Nizoj

Cadet
Thank you. Yes, I am inquiring about a SIB. A picture is attached. I don’t have the same seat patches as you and would likely have the seat installed anyway. What would be the best option for securing the ladder? Can I use the rope threaded around the top?

Attachments

• photo339225.jpg
    photo339225.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Better will be to tie a 1/2-3/4 " belt from right tube ear line (1) to the left one with a belt loop on (2) as to distribute much better the boater's stand up weight, pull and climb force exercised to get on board with a foot loop at the end of the belt.

Belt Ladder.JPG

As currently installed, both displayed oars and side handles are going to hinder, rub anyone when pulling on board.. If installing a rope ladder will need to remove one of the oars to climb in between the oar holder and the adjacent handle to have a better climbing comfort zone whether at front bow or aft transom area.... If too complicated, try pulling yourself up while standing on the AV plate.....

Happy Boating

Nizoj

Cadet
Thank you so much Sea Rider. I really appreciate you expertise and assistance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thank you so much Sea Rider. I really appreciate you expertise and assistance.

You're welcome.

Have gone myself through same to make my boating experience and others on board more pleasant. Forgot to mention that probably won't need to remove any oar when climbing. Try turning and securing the oar paddle to the other side or swing the oar perpendicular to the tube, check which method gives a better distance clearance to climb on board.

If you and your boating guests are feather champs skip the loop on 1 or 2 depending which tube will be using, just secure on the opposite tube and try it out....

Happy Boating

Last edited: