Tohatsu 30hp Steering cable?

Tp1992

Recruit
Hi,

I just replaced an old outboard motor with a new Tohatsu MFS30C outboard and the current Teleflex cable I have only has a turning circle of 2.5 turns (1.25 each way from centre) and I'm not sure if I need to replace the cable as well for a bigger turning circle (if that is a thing, I'm new to boating so don't be too harsh! :) ).

The boat itself is a 14ft CJR if this helps with any advice.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/deck-hardware/steering/irc-light-duty-steering-cable

The cable I have linked is the current teleflex cable I have.

Any advice is most welcome so fire away!

Kind regards, Tony.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is the usual recommended steering cable install : Check if matches right your current application..

Happy Boating

Attachments

• photo336645.jpg
    photo336645.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
I guess I'm left wondering if this is a limitation caused by this motor install, or is this all the further this system is supposed to move?

If the motor were disconnected, would you still be limited to 1.25 turns either side of center?

pvanv

Admiral
I guess I'm left wondering if this is a limitation caused by this motor install, or is this all the further this system is supposed to move?

If the motor were disconnected, would you still be limited to 1.25 turns either side of center?

YES. Could be a bad helm unit...

ahicks

Captain
So further troubleshooting required. I guess that's where I would start - by disconnecting everything at the motor end of the steering cable.