Alpha one gen 2 need help

Chevydude92

Recruit
I have a 1992 Wellcraft 215 with the 350 magnum and alpha one gen 2. SE116 is on the boat now. When I bought the boat the previous owner said the wrong gears are on it and that’s why it won’t get up and go. He blew up the old outdrive that he said was on the boat. So I opened hem them up and they are both 1.61 24-24 teeth. So everything online says it should have the 1.47 ratio. So I took it out to the lake and it would only get up to 30mph and only about 4200-4300 rpm. WOT rpms should be 4800. I used a 17 pitch and a 19 pitch prop. Didn’t see much difference in the two. Took forever to get up to 30mph and plane and hole shot was crap. It’s a pretty big boat. Just need help on what to do to get up to the correct rpms and top speed. This is my first boat so I’m not sure what to try. Willing to go to 1.47 or whatever else.

Attachments

• photo326152.jpg
    photo326152.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 0

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Nothing wrong with a 1.61. In fact, higher ratio means the motor should over-rev compared to the 1.47. That ain't your problem.

Take your boat and weigh it. See if it is the neighborhood of where it belongs. Might be the foam is full of water.

Stick with the 17 inch prop until you figure it out.

Then start from scratch on motor. Warm it up and do a compression check. Check that the throttle is opening all the way when going to full throttle. That's a good start.

Rick

alldodge

Staff member
I'm thinking a tired motor. Start with the basics, check plugs, wires, cap. Then do a compression test, new motor would be 150 psi, and it needs at least 100 to even run. Any one cylinder should not be less then 10% of the highest

BTW this is not an outboard topic, and you started two threads
Het GA_Boater

Cobe Marine

Cadet
Agree with what Rick posted plus one other check: engine timing. Not just base though, use an advancement time light so you can see that you are getting full advancement. At 3000rpm you should be at seeing about 28deg total, BUT check the factory specs before simply advancing it. You can do serious damage advancing too much.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Check the engine is running on all 8 cylinders! I've seen 350s with a dead lung and apart from the poor performance, you can't tell. It doesn't sound difference, or even have a wobbly idle.

Chris.......

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Guy has 2 threads running on same subject

Thanks AD, now merged.

Chevydude92 Please don't run multiple threads on the same topic. You'll get as many answers in one thread as you will in multiples, and it'll be less confusing for both you and the people trying to help you...

Chris
iboats Mod team.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
AC Chris is likely on the right track here. I’d be looking at the engine.

that boat, engine, 1.62 ratio and a 17” pitch should see you up at the top of the rpm range if all was healthy. If you aren’t seeing a difference with a 19”...makes me think all the more that your issue is elsewhere.
A friend with a 21ft bayliner with a 4.3 4 barrel and alpha 1.62 can turn a 19” laser into the 4400-4800 rpm range.
your 350 and same ratio...all be it maybe a heavier hull...but also faster hull...should certainly be able to also.
compression check, timing, fuel etc check time I think.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All I’ve said above is obviously assuming that you are trimming the boat up and props are in good shape.