Looking for bare engine block with pistons

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone!
My first post/question on this forum!
Last year I bought a Four Wins 195 sundowner with the engine out of order.
Recently took out the engine just to find the engine's cylinders full of water and rust.
It is a OMC / Chevy 4.3 V6 262 build 1992 with casting number 756 on the block.
Apparently the original engine, no balance shaft, rollers, 1 piece main and electric fuel pump.
After dismantling, found the the engine in as new condition, except of course for the cylinders. These are heavily corroded and to far to be bored out.
The pistons were stuck, I had had to tap them out with a hammer!
Crankshaft, bearings, drive shaft, camshaft, all in as new condition. The engine only has 298 hours on it.
Now, the question is, where can I find a new cylinder block with the pistons?
I have been searching the net but could only find complete "short blocks or long blocks.
Second hand engines are very rare over here in Belgium and, if you can find one, overpriced.
Buying a reconditioned engine in the US is possible but then there are other issues, who can I trust to sell me a A+ engine?
Also, shipping rates are very different, some charge 650 $, others 150$. Some even charge packaging and administration!
So, which company can I trust or,
is there anyone with an engine block in his garage with (or without ) bearing failure?
Thanks for your reactions!
Greetings from Flanders, Belgium

Bondo

Staff member
These are heavily corroded and to far to be bored out.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Are ya Sure it's to far gone,......

Pistons can be bought for an overbore of .030", .040". 'n .060",......

Otherwise, expect to scrap what you've got, 'n go with a new/ reman long block,.....

Chris51280

Ensign
yup. I would look for a machine shop in your area and have them bore it. then order the pistons. Gasket sets to be marine also from summit racing for example. that is the most cost effective fix
There are a few places that ship international in florida or michigan for a short block. 2-3k for that + shipping and TAX probably

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the reply guys!
Already went to the machine shop. That 's where they told me that the the block was to far! Indeed, the engine had been standing for over a year with the engine filled with saltwater. They suggested sleeves but that is not the cheapest solution. The guy was talking about 1300€ ( 1600$ ) for labor and sleeves.
So yes, I would like to order a reconditioned block!
Have been looking around on the net and found the company's in Florida, Michigan and quite some others.
But, when you start reading comments of ( un)satisfied customers, well, it gets difficult.
Especially considering the distance between us. If something goes wrong, I can not just bring it back.
So I need you guys to guide me through the pitfalls!
Prices very from about 1600$ to 3000+ $, some want the core, some do not.
Thinking of contacting the Florida based company but....not sure. However, the most cost effective!
Of course, you can always PM me.
Anyway, thank you for your help!!!
​​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo325683.jpg
    photo325683.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 8

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Over the years, 2 companies have been mentioned in many threads,.....

Rapido, in Fla., 'n Michigan Motors, in Michigan state of course,.....

Or,..... GM Goodwrench for a brand new crate motors,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s a shame a little work would have prevented that! (drain block and manifolds; remove spark plugs spin it over to pump out water then fog cyls thoroughly), I had to do that when I had 2 blown head gaskets back in ‘17. Was able to save the block and got it back up & running with reman heads. If your cyl heads are good then the cheapest plan is to get a short block from a place like Rapido. If the heads are questionable then a long block makes more sense; Rapido and Michigan Motorz both do long blocks whereas as far as I know MM only does long blocks not short blocks...

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm sure you could find a GM dealer over there and see what a 4.3 crate motor costs. Not sure about now but at one time you could get a crate short block from GM.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1992 blocks without the balance shaft is the same from 1989-1992

any 4.3 short block from either a boat or a truck will be the same. the difference between marine is the core plugs, head gaskets, cam and circulating pump.

you are looking at shipping from the US because you are in Belgium.

you can get marine long-blocks from the companies listed or short blocks from Summit Racing, Jegs, etc.

However your local european GM dealer should be able to get you a crate motor with full warranty.

There are 3 in the Belgium area...... Kontich, Mechelen and Ghent

you may have to upgrade to the 1996 and later motor (I couldnt find the '89-92 motor on their web site)

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12491865.html

if so, buy a GMPP intake

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@ Lou C, indeed, it is only little work to clear the cylinders. When I went to see the boat ( in southern France), it was already to late. Somebody already pulled the plugs before me. A quick look into the cylinders told the story. Rust and water and the crank rock solid. I am still wondering what had happened. The seller told me they pressure washed the engine and some water got in. So it is strange that the engine is still dirty and dusty....
The exhaust risers are badly cracked and will need replacement. Even the carb was full of salty water and unfortunately fully corroded. So I think this boat must have partially sunk or took in water one way or another.
However, I will need to find out where the water came in.

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Before I continue, please forgive me for the poor English. I am trying my very best!
As far as GM dealers are concerned, there are non left! GM pulled there activity's in Europe in 2015. Only Corvette and Camaro stayed for a wile until last summer ( 2019 ). The ones you find on Google have stopped or changed to other makes.
Of course, Opel, a GM brand is still here but was sold to PSA.
Parts for US cars are always difficult to get. For my Escalade I order parts from Rockauto in the US. Prices are good but there is always shipment and, import tax.
However, I like the US and its products and will continue buying from you guys or your company's.
Now, I will need to make a choice where to buy the engine. Reading the comments does not make it any easier.
Thanks a lot for the comments, will keep you posted!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
@ Lou C, indeed, it is only little work to clear the cylinders. When I went to see the boat ( in southern France), it was already to late. Somebody already pulled the plugs before me. A quick look into the cylinders told the story. Rust and water and the crank rock solid. I am still wondering what had happened. The seller told me they pressure washed the engine and some water got in. So it is strange that the engine is still dirty and dusty....
The exhaust risers are badly cracked and will need replacement. Even the carb was full of salty water and unfortunately fully corroded. So I think this boat must have partially sunk or took in water one way or another.
However, I will need to find out where the water came in.

Most likely freeze damage

With exhaust manifolds, block, carb and most likely intake manifold problems, you will be further ahead with a complete marine bobtail. Look around for damaged boats with good motors

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also while GM marine engines may not be that easy to come by in Europe, keep in mind that Volvo Penta has used them for many years, so VP dealers may have connections to find short and long blocks.
If the block is not cracked, then water ingress could have been from a partial sinking or exhaust elbow failure, but the cracking sounds like freeze damage from not draining the exhaust manifolds, and if the block was not drained, same thing cracked block, heads and intake manifold. Time to totally start over with the engine, not going to be a cheap job by any means.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnso...cfm?mdl=ITALGD

looks like this is what you had...
staying with the Cobra stern drive or changing to Volvo or Merc Alpha? Cobras were good but the parts availability is the issue right now, plus most mechanics don't know how or won't work on them.

Given the need to replace the engine, and the lack of parts and service on OMC stern drives, IF and this is a big if, the rest of the boat is in good shape (wood rot? fiberglass damage?) I'd be looking for a late model take out from a damaged boat, 4.3 V6 + complete stern drive/transom mount, either Volvo or Merc Alpha whichever is better supported in your locale. Or else your boating experience will be constant hassles every time something needs to be fixed.

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just to give you guys an idea of what we are talking about, some pics maybe?
Started looking for a boat with damage.
Over here we are very lucky not to have any hurricanes, but this also means that damaged boats often have engine troubles instead of hull damage. Most damaged boats were neglected, left outside in the rain or had there engines frozen without proper winter preparation. It is a fact that where this boat came from, freezing is rare but not impossible. Over here, we had snow last week.

So, I am looking in the South of France / North Spain. To get there I will need to travel, some 1000Kms! But then, I guess you guys travel much more given the size of your country.
Found a Sunbird https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/1733723949.htm/Will look in to this one, wondering if the mechanicals will be any good???? Just a phonecall away :D

The pics of my 1992 Four Winns 195 sundowner:

Attachments

• photo325758.jpg
    photo325758.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo325759.jpg
    photo325759.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo325760.jpg
    photo325760.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo325761.jpg
    photo325761.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • photo325762.jpg
    photo325762.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • photo325763.jpg
    photo325763.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
1000km is a decent run, and if you find what you need, often worth the trip. once drove 2200 miles (3540km) just for pizza and beer in a weekend. another time was 2500 miles in one round-trip over a 2-day weekend to pick up my 1953 Chevrolet truck. often do 3100 miles in a long weekend (4990km)

Spain had a hurricane end of January. did a lot of damage at MB92 boat yard. there may be damage to small boats in that area.

most small boat damage isnt from weather, however being left out and neglected. water sitting in the hull often leads to rot. these are the types of boats that you can find and negotiate a good deal on the motor/drive

got a year on the sunbird?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
boat itself looks good, glass work in the bilge looks good not rotted looking...
those old OMC manifolds can be replaced directly with Barr Marine aftermarket, those thermostat housings are still available OE from Volvo, they used the same ones.

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No year, no contact either Scott. Tried to phone but no response. Maybe tomorrow? Will send a message to the seller. Maybe he responds. A 2500 mile trip for pizza and beer? That must have been good pizza and Belgian beer!
Lou C, thank you! Indeed, I still think this is a nice boat. Even the cabin is in "as new" condition. Would be a shame to discard this boat. My first boat, Sea ray 200, was comparable, same engine ( including the troubles) with even better hull. Now I have got a better trailer with it. Summer is coming, let's get to it! A summer without a boat....but, there is another one waiting to be finished. Waiting for temperatures to rise to work the epoxy....( pic )

Small question, I see you all list your boats, cars and stuff under the posts. how do you do that?

Attachments

• photo325784.jpg
    photo325784.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
It's in your signature file. Go under your profile settings: See HERE.

Welcome aboard.

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the welcoming! :joyous:
I am not very good with computers and stuff but, I will try sorting things out.

Westieman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone!

Just to keep you informed.
Went to pick up the mentioned engine in southern France.
Sunbird is completely rotted and lost but, the engine that I removed is in a good condition.
Of course I will strip it completely, clean and paint it.
The engine has rollers, 1 piece rear and, contrary to my initial engine a mechanical fuel pump.
One more thing, the flywheel is different in weight, much lighter.
Surprise, the engine has a Yamaha id plate on it.
Also, the carburetor is different ( rochester ), and ignition is with breaker points.
Unfortunately, the exhaust manifolds are cracked.

Question for you guys: I posted previously a picture of the badly cracked OMC exhaust manifold. This is not a one piece manifold. I do not have the risers that come with it so will need to order a complete exhaust system. Now the question, should I look for a replacement for a two piece manifold or for a one piece manifold??? Did OMC produce two piece manifolds?? On the picture, is this original equipment??

HEREBY A WARNING!!!!!!
Please, protect yourself and your family from the COVID 19 virus!!!
Do not take it lightly!!!!!
Stay at home!!!! Do not shake hands and keep a distance from everyone, even your beloved family!
This virus kills older people but also young children!
So please, take care and stay healthy!

Attachments

• photo327178.jpg
    photo327178.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo327179.jpg
    photo327179.jpg
    839.8 KB · Views: 3