1978 19 ft Glasply cuddy stringers

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 1978 cuddy cabin Glasply. From what I have have read 1978 was the production year that they transitioned to fiberglass stringers. The owner is an elderly guy that claims it has glass stringers. Can I verify this without doing a core test?

chevymaher

Commander
This man can help you.

fetch

Attachments

• photo322790.jpg
    photo322790.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
19 ft glasply stringer fiberglass?

I am looking at a 1978 cuddy cabin Glasply. From what I have have read 1978 was the production year that they transitioned to fiberglass stringers. The owner is an elderly guy that claims it has glass stringers. Can I verify this without doing a core test?

chevymaher

Commander
Okay here is a link with a similar boat. This guy says some had wood stringers some didnt. Dont matter to be sure and repair the 85% of the boat that is still wood. Transom and structural floor. Wet Foam need replaced. You still got to do exploratory surgery. And repairs. There is no easy way out. Johnny Carson was still your best bet if your just going to guess.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...978-glasply-cabin-and-transom-rebuild-repower

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you. I live in the town Glasplys were built and I have always liked these boats. My brother in law has one and it handles that rough chop like a champ. I want one that has the glass stringers so at some point I can repower and replace floor and transom with Coosa board. Then I should have a solid boat for years to come

emoney

Commander
If you're going to replace the transom and deck, may as well do the stringers as well. So does it really matter? Is there an access panel over the fuel tank, because if so, you can usually see the stringers from there. Or, in the bilge area.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Emoney I don't plan on getting it if it has wooden stringers, shouldn't need to replace stringers if they are fiberglass right?

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Emoney I don't plan on getting it if it has wooden stringers, shouldn't need to replace stringers if they are fiberglass right?

My webbcraft has glass stringers but i still had to get all of the wet foam out of them. Luckily I removed the back 12" against the transom since it had to be replaced and cut out the tops ever couple feet to keep most of the stringers intact. Then once the new transom was back in I was able to put the cutout stringers back on place and glass in. I was both happy and surprised when I pulled up the old floor. Then once the floor was back in I made sure I drilled holes into the stringers and poured in foam.