Extended run fuel tank for Honda Generators?

Expidia

Commander
I'm trying to put together the parts to run my 4- Honda 2200 generators off a 6.5 gallon portable Moeller plastic tank.
I'm down to the final parts. The caps I bought off Ebay to fit these Honda generators are aluminum. Can I use a brass elbow with the aluminum cap. Will two different metals react with each other. Or should I hunt down a plastic elbow?
Thx

Attachments

• photo317916.jpg
    photo317916.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • photo317917.jpg
    photo317917.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How will you get gas to the carb on a gravity fed fuel system?

Expidia

Commander
Ya I thought of that issue too but they sell these setups on Ebay from various sellers. I asked that question of one of the sellers and he said the Hondas have their internal own pump and no need for a priming bulb in the line. I ordered a primer bulb anyway for the system Im making up myself and will return it if I don't need it. I'm doing doing another setup (a single one) for my son who has a Rigid 6,800 watt generator so worst case if his generator does not have an internal pump is you place the external gas tank above the generators gas tank. This guy wants $165 for a system with the tank and then $57 for shipping an empty plastic tank. He gets $165 each and I need two systems plus a 3rd single one for my son. He lost my business with his $57 ripoff shipping charge.

Attachments

• photo317919.png
    photo317919.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Expidia

Commander
I think this answered my question as this other seller is showing a brass fiiting that is screwed into an aluminum cap:

Attachments

• photo317947.png
    photo317947.png
    402 KB · Views: 0

82rude

Rear Admiral
There are no internal pumps their gravity fed .A quick check of Hondas parts diagrams will attest to that.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As long as your tank sits higher than the fuel inlet you will be fine, they are gravity fed, no fuel pump.

As far as brass and aluminum, you are good to go, they are normally not reactive to each other in normal use.

Expidia

Commander
There are no internal pumps their gravity fed .A quick check of Hondas parts diagrams will attest to that.

Ya thats why I also ordered a few primer bulbs as that was what the ebay seller said re the honda has an internal pump which I took with a grain of salt. Other sellers show their set up with the external tank sitting above the generator.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
On the 2000i, the fuel cap also contains the vent. It can be opened or closed. If closed, the generator will eventually starve of fuel. Not sure if the 2200's are the same.

With the replacement cap and elbow, even if you are running the 6 gal tank on the ground, since there will be no vent, the suction from the onboard tank level going down will pull fuel into the generator from the outboard tank.

I bought a modified plastic cap with brass elbow for my 2000i and it works great. Generator will run for literally days on the 6 gallons plus the 1 gallon in the onboard tank. Use it for camping all the time. I do place my outboard tank on a milk crate next to the generator to gravity feed, but I have also used it without the crate with the tank on the ground and it works fine that way as well.

Expidia

Commander
Thanks for your post. I assembled all the parts I ordered. 2 weeks later we had a power outage. I can tell how long it will be out when I click on the power companies website and they say 111,000 users are without power. I know its going to take the 4-8 hrs to fix. It was from a windstorm taking branches down along with the powerlines. The extended tank worked like a charm. I ran two generators off one 6.5 gallon tank. Powered my fridge, tv and AC window unit. 2nd generator I hooked up my downstairs neighbor too.
Ran all night without me going out in the niddle of the night to refill the OEM Honda 1 gal tank. These units are so quiet its amazing. Coolest thing was my entire neighbor hood was dark yet I was the only house on my street with the lights on! I did elevate the tank on a plastic recycle container which placed the tank about 8 inches above te generator just in case. I also installed a sqeeze bulb on each line to get the flow started.
I figured out I saved $150 per setup over buying a ready made unit on Ebay. I also made a single setup for my son who has a 7500 watt Ryobi generator on wheels. It has a Yamaha motor, but its still loud as hell esecially under 85% load.