Any WWII History Students

dwco5051

Commander
I found this photo in my previous belongings after he passed. He was post S.Maj. in the canal Zone during much of the war and was a photography buff. The original I have he enlarged to 10 X 14 inches. I have been trying to identify the 3 officers in the car. The one in the back on the passenger side is easy. The auto is a 1942 Cadillac I think since that body style went to a chrome stone guard on the front of the rear fender. The flag on the front is too furled to count the stars. I also have a feeling that one may be Navy rather than Army. I won't say who I think the three are because it may prejudice the I.D.

Attachments

• photo312287.jpg
    photo312287.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It looks like it could be Macarthur, Eisenhower and Billy Mitchell

southkogs

Staff member
Guy up front passenger side looks a little like Hap Arnold.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
If you want a definitive answer, the Staff Historian at the USMA could help.

dwco5051

Commander
If you want a definitive answer, the Staff Historian at the USMA could help.

Thanks, I never thought of that. Did find an address for the history dept there and sent info to them. On a side note playing with the photo on the computer I blew up the holsters on the MP's and they look like they were designed for old army Colt revolvers and had rags stuffed in them and were otherwise empty. Having stood quarterdeck watches with either an empty holster or a 1911 minus a magazine that doesn't surprise me. Back in the mid 50's I spent many hours on the drill field with a 1903 Springfield without a firing pin.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
And another good example of why if you think a photo is noteworthy or special (and even if you don't :) ) it is a great idea to write the names of individuals on the back. Otherwise, once there is no living-link, the info may be gone.

I do a lot of family history research and am constantly frustrated at the number of family members and friends in old photos will never be identified.... or will require heroic efforts to ID.

That one is certainly a treasure! Good luck.

dwco5051

Commander
I sent a copy to the archivist at Carlisle Barracks and he confirmed today that it is Generals Eisenhower and Wainwright in the back seat but he could not positively ID the front seat passenger, He also confirmed that it was the 5 star flag on the car so that narrows the time frame. The time would be 1945 to 1947 since Wainwright was in a Japanese prison camp till the end of the war. Since Gen Wainwright was at Fort Sam Houston after the war I have a feeling that is where the picture might of been taken. More research now on my part.

82rude

Rear Admiral
IKE was made a general of the army (5 star) on 20 December 1944.HAP on 21 December of 1944.Marshall and Mac also in dec 44.Bradely in 1950

dwco5051

Commander
IKE was made a general of the army (5 star) on 20 December 1944.

Correct, but General Wainwright was a Japanese POW until the end of the war. He was the highest ranking serviceman to have been captured in WWII.

dwco5051

Commander
I called a lady at the Eisenhower Library this morning and left a message describing the photo. She called me this afternoon and confirmed that Ike and Wainwright did go to Panama in August of 1946 on an inspection tour and then to Mexico City and ended up in San Antonio, TX. She told me that they had no photos of the trip like mine so I am making copies and donating one to the museum. All I asked that they attribute the photographer as MSgt Donovan and she said she will be happy to do that. Ike's personal aide was a Lt. Col James Stack and I have started to search for picture of him to see if that may be the front seat passenger.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It won't be long before you know more about Ike than Mamie ever did! LOL