What is this knob beneath my Bayliner's steering wheel?

Goodman98155

Cadet
I cannot seem to find any manuals or diagrams for my steering wheel or an explanation of what the knob beneath the wheel does. I have loosened it until it feels like it will unthread and fall out but I honestly don't want to mess with it any further than that.
Does anyboday know and/or have a link to a manual or other info? It is on a 1996 Bayliner Ciera 2655. Rack and Pinion Steering by Teleflex it says above the black housing pictured.

Attachments

• photo307883.jpg
    photo307883.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 4

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Looks like a tension knob to firm up or lessen the amount of effort to turn the steering wheel.

Goodman98155

Cadet
Looks like a tension knob to firm up or lessen the amount of effort to turn the steering wheel.

I should mention that it feels like it threads in and out like a bolt would feel. It is either tight or loose and doesn't seem to affect anything.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That wheel doesn't look like it tilts. Its a steering tension knob. On a boat that old its probably stripped or broken.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I should mention that it feels like it threads in and out like a bolt would feel. It is either tight or loose and doesn't seem to affect anything.

It may still be one, there were some around back then, they had a pad on top of the threaded housing made out of leather and other materials that would tighten down and still function, just with more friction on the steering hub. Most of them wore out due to being in a wet environment.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is steering tension knob. Probably stripped as the others said. It “should” adjust tension on the wheel. Use mine all he time... set a course heading and lock he wheel with the knob.

Goodman98155

Cadet
Thanks all- it does seem like it would thread in against the shaft to 'tension' the steering. Perhaps I will try to really torque it in and see if I notice a difference.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
That's what it is 100%, ok 99%. My StarCraft has a spot for an Allen key to tighten the tension. Reminds me I need to tighten mine. Another thing for the boat's "need to do." list. The list is never ending.

Goodman98155

Cadet
Now I just need to figure out how to calibrate/adjust the dang wheel. The wheel itself is 90 degrees to starboard when the outdrive is dead-straight. Since there is an 'up' to this wheel, it makes me crazy. Can't find documentation on it anywhere. I was hoping the knob had something to do with it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Center the drive and then remove the wheel with a wheel puller. Turn it to your liking and then put it back on. If that isn't satisfactory, install a rudder position indicator on the center cap and ignore the wheel. If that isn't satisfactory replace the wheel with a Destroyer Wheel with multiple spokes and you won't know the difference.

Goodman98155

Cadet
Center the drive and then remove the wheel with a wheel puller. Turn it to your liking and then put it back on. If that isn't satisfactory, install a rudder position indicator on the center cap and ignore the wheel. If that isn't satisfactory replace the wheel with a Destroyer Wheel with multiple spokes and you won't know the difference.

In the few photos of wheel removal I have found, I got the impression that the keyway on the shaft would require the wheel to be mounted in one position, but perhaps there are splines for the key for some other method of locking it to the shaft that would allow me to position it arbitrarily.

I did buy a rudder position indicator and suppose I will just settle for that if I can't adjust the wheel.