New member! 😎

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I've been hanging out here for about a month and just joined. My name is Mark and I've been a sailor for the past 22 years. We've owned several sailboats from a Sunfish to a Seaward 25. But I was finding it a little to much for me to handle by myself. (mid 60's) We sold it a few months ago. 😞 Being boatless is no fun so I've been thinking about an inflatable as a few of my boating friends have them and I got to try them a few times. After months of research and visits to boating outlets, I've decided on a Sea Eagle 12.6. i just built a Harbor Fright trailer and will modify it soon to fit the boat. Can't wait for Spring, Mark

Attachments

• photo307739.jpg
    photo307739.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Mark sorry to ruin the water party but the Sea Eagle is not the best inflatable out there to buy. Friends of mine have had issues with this brand. If you have not purchased it yet check Saturn inflatable boats. There's a nice 13 footer with inflatable floor or hard deck options. Why the latter, better construction, fabric and price. Check or repent forever...

A long time proven sailor deserves a much better quality vessel...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Sea Eagle Mark. Nice for you to join us.

I understand what you are saying, but a lot of us on these forums are in our 50's, 60's or older. And some even have medical issues as well. So you may want to look for another solid boat and get back out there and enjoy the waters. JMHO

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, thanks for the input,
Yes, Sea Rider, I did consider Saturn's of the same size.
Pro's - low prices
Cons - for me.
30 day warranty IF you don't you it! You use it, you own it.
The SE has a 180 day try it and see if you like it policy. No, you can't use it for four months, beat the snot out of it and then think you're getting a full refund. They'll deduct for use or abuse. How do I know? Because last year on a whim I bought a sea eagle 9 knowing nothing about inflatables. The wife and I used it for the afternoon and and decided it didn't fit our needs. SE gave us a full refund with in 3 days of receiving it. Yes, I lost $70 in return shipping but hey, we used it for an afternoon.
I'm well aware of issues with some of the older models. But, SE are now thermal welded and for an additional $99 carry of FULL 6 year warranty! Nuff said.

IF repairs were ever needed, SE is about an hour from us in Port Jefferson, NY.
Saturn is in Miami Florida.
I'll keep you in the loop and be the guinea pig for the Forum. πŸ˜‰
Thanks for thoughts. Mark

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
BTW, I'm not trying to knock Saturn at all. I've been following this guy on YouTube and he loves his! https://youtu.be/8ZPy1m5Tx3s. (He bought it a few months ago) I'm 95% sure I want a SE. If anyone has bought a Saturn in the last 2-3 years, I'd love to hear more about them. Mark

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For me SE is pure on line visual marketing. Really laugh out when that senior boater knocks the inflated tube with a hammer saying how tough that fabric is, wouldl like to see him doing the same hard banging test with the sharper side of the same hammer. LOl!!

To clarify your boating needs : What type of boating will you be doing, fishing, cruising at low or high speed at coastal,l open waters, closed bays, calm river, lakes ? Will this be a family oriented vessel ?

Can't understand why you won't like at all the Saturn 380 footer. The + about thermowelding process over the traditional hand gluing process is something that doesn't take my dream away. All my last 7 inflatables were hand glued and none of them experienced failing tubes, It's just a matter to inflate the Sib at it's recommended PSI working pressure and voila!!

Comparing both brands physical Pros and Cons :

-SE inflatables are manufactured by a third party with just 0.9 mm standard chinese PVC fabric.
-Uses hollow cheap plastic floorboards that rattles very much when boat is on plane.
-In a short time period along higher UV radiation exposure now a days, plastic floorboards will deteorate fast and crack which is no bueno at all. Will need to save some cash to buy a new plastic floorboard set...

-Saturn builds their own brand inflatables with high quality Korean 1.2 mm PVC fabrics.
-Employs high quality 2 part PVC glue than their chinese competitors.
-Uses better quality wooden or alum floor decks.
-A 1.2 mm fabric along a better frim deck achieves a much better water ride in all water conditions.
-Saturn tests well each inflatables prior delivering them to final worldwide dealers.
-Being an overall higher qualty inflatable the asking price is way below of the SE one which for me is way overpriced.

Guess what, both of my highly experienced inflatable boater friends have switched to Saturn inflatables after their awful experience with SE brand and that says much of the quality...

Happy Boating

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
For me SE is pure on line visual marketing. Really laugh out when that senior boater knocks the inflated tube with a hammer saying how tough that fabric is, wouldl like to see him doing the same hard banging test with the sharper side of the same hammer. LOl!!

Hey Sea Rider,
Totally agree with this one
!

To clarify your boating needs : What type of boating will you be doing, fishing, cruising at low or high speed at coastal,l open waters, closed bays, calm river, lakes ? Will this be a family oriented vessel ?

It will be mostly just my wife and I, day tripping local lakes, rivers and safe local harbors. No fishing, and will have friends and the grandkids now and then. Mostly just puttering around for the afternoon.

Can't understand why you won't like at all the Saturn 380 footer. The + about thermowelding process over the traditional hand gluing process is something that doesn't take my dream away. All my last 7 inflatables were hand glued and none of them experienced failing tubes, It's just a matter to inflate the Sib at it's recommended PSI working pressure and voila!!

Ok, but.....my biggest concern is seam failure. It seems to be the biggest downside of inflatable boats. IF I have a problem, then what? (No boat is perfect)

Comparing both brands physical Pros and Cons :

-SE inflatables are manufactured by a third party with just 0.9 mm standard chinese PVC fabric.

True.

-Uses hollow cheap plastic floorboards that rattles very much when boat is on plane.
-In a short time period along higher UV radiation exposure now a days, plastic floorboards will deteorate fast and crack which is no bueno at all. Will need to save some cash to buy a new plastic floorboard set...

True, but I'm going to get a drop stitch floor no matter what I buy.

-Saturn builds their own brand inflatables with high quality Korean 1.2 mm PVC fabrics.
-Employs high quality 2 part PVC glue than their chinese competitors.
-Uses better quality wooden or alum floor decks.
-A 1.2 mm fabric along a better frim deck achieves a much better water ride in all water conditions.
-Saturn tests well each inflatables prior delivering them to final worldwide dealers.
-Being an overall higher qualty inflatable the asking price is way below of the SE one which for me is way overpriced.

Guess what, both of my highly experienced inflatable boater friends have switched to Saturn inflatables after their awful experience with SE brand and that says much of the quality...

Ok like I said, I'm 95% sold on the SE, but.... I'm not buying anything till next month.
You've given me something to think about........ Mark

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Mark,

Will you assemble/disassemble and store your boat constantly or plan keeping it inflated on top trailer stored in a shaded place, garage when not in use ? Which brand of outboard and HP do you plan powering the inflatable with ?

Like the air deck version due to the ease of assembly time, less weight to carry, thoughts ?

Been testing different brands inflatables and selling my own brand inflatables for the last 15 years. Will guarantee that with a Saturn inflatable won't have seams issues any time soon and if you're not a year round boater that's a + .

If you prefer the air deck version over the alum floorboard version the Saturn 380 is what you need, achieves more tube rigidity specially useful when boating with more than 2 up...

Happy Boating

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Will you assemble/disassemble and store your boat constantly or plan keeping it inflated on top trailer stored in a shaded place, garage when not in use ? Which brand of outboard and HP do you plan powering the inflatable with ?

Hey Sea Rider,
I appreciate all your help and input! Your forcing me to think about what I want in an inflatable boat. .... and that's a good thing.
I plan on keeping it on a trailer inflated, and covered in the shade when no using it. We live if CT and I'll store it indoors in the winter.

Like the air deck version due to the ease of assembly time, less weight to carry, thoughts ?

All the above! πŸ˜€

Been testing different brands inflatables and selling my own brand inflatables for the last 15 years. Will guarantee that with a Saturn inflatable won't have seams issues any time soon and if you're not a year round boater that's a + .

So what happens IF I have a problem with the boat or seams? Also, they make a premium version for just a little more money. But, I don't like the the Velcro all around the boat for the cover that comes with it.
Also, I have a 6hp Tohatsu. I know you like BIG motors but with our sailboat sailboat we were lucky to do 5-6knts......on a good day! Mostly 3-4.5knots. On my buddy's Catilina 36 the BEST we EVER did in 12 years was 8.2knts in 25-30knts of true wind. It felt like we we going a 100mph! Sailing is 95% relaxation....and 5% terror.
β›΅

If you prefer the air deck version over the alum floorboard version the Saturn 380 is what you need, achieves more tube rigidity specially useful when boating with more than 2 up...

Happy Boating
[/QUOTE]

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Mark,

You have all the parameters that didn't were aware of regarding the pros and cons of both models. It's your final decision. Regarding the 6 HP outboard, has the prop been changed from the factory delivered one to power a sailboat ?

If not, ideal would be to go for a less pitch in order for the OB to rev to its max wot rpm range of 6K when with 2 up and around 5.5 K revs when with 4 up.

If the factory prop is not changed when with 4 up will be lugging the engine which is bad. For that will need to install an induction tach and make 2 consecutive wot runs with 2 and 4 up to see how much wot rpm the OB drops in both scenarios.

Probably will pane the inflatable with 2 up, with 4 probably will achieve just fast displacement speed, only a wot water test will determine so..

Happy Boating

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Sea Rider,
I agree about the prop 100%. Eric's video convinced me. https://youtu.be/4LD4dDIbjW0 He has a Saturn 13' and the same 6hp Tohatsu as I do. You're right! Changing the prop makes a big difference. He had a hard floor but changed to an air floor and liked it much better for what he uses his boat for. BTW, I just bought the Tohatsu a few weeks ago. It was a 10 month old 2018 with less than 20 hours on it. The couple i bought it from are planning to take their 32' sailboat from CT to FL and then to the Bahamas. They'll be loading up the inflatable all the time with supplies and want a Tohatsu 9.8 instead. So I bought it for......$900.00. πŸ˜€ they bought it from Defender and had all the paperwork. It started on the 4th pull from stone cold and purred like a kitten.
​​​​​​​Thanks again for all your help, Mark
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo307867.jpg
    photo307867.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Mark, you're welcome!!

Sorry if sounded too picky, just wanted you to make the best money wise investment regarding the inflatable acquisition.

Happy Boating