Spare Tire Mount

ggray

Seaman
I may need to install a trailer tongue hinge, and if I do, it would help to install the spare tire mount such that the tire is mounted horizontally (rather than vertically) offset to one side.
Has anyone done this?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Been doing it that way for years. Its actually the best place for it if it fits there. They make a U-bolt that's fitted to the tire's bolt pattern. It comes with or without a padlock. Its also the lowest cost spare tire mount.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Depends on the trailer and the boat. I had a swing tongue welded to my trailer and the spot the spare fits is at an accompanying angle to the hull of the boat. No room anywhere else.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I just put the spare in the tow vehicle. Reduces the chance of it growing feet

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you really are not concerned with anybody steeling your spare tire, the Fulton Spare Tire Carrier, that is sold here on iboats store, would be the best thing going. But mind you, a few tools could remove the spare tire And the mount. If you are concerned with theft, try something like this.

This is my spare tire mount that I built on the trailer when I rebuilt the trailer. And I also made two angle parts so when you attach your spare tire on it, you can lock it on as well. Is it theft proof? Well nothing if positively theft proof if some one really wants it, but it comes very close. Just a thought.

Attachments

• photo306654.jpg
    photo306654.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo306655.jpg
    photo306655.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo306656.png
    photo306656.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306657.png
    photo306657.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306658.png
    photo306658.png
    173 KB · Views: 0

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The whole trailer can be stolen too if they really want it...LOL.

They'll come prepared with a lug wrench. Two trailers sitting side by side they'll pass over the one needing a bolt cutter and first go after the one that only has nuts.

This is on IBoats. Only need to add a padlock. It's the cheapest type available and works just fine. I have bought 4 of them over the years. Only had to use a spare twice in 51 years.

241-86092.jpg

jkust

Rear Admiral
Agree with the above, it is only a deterrent if there is an easier target but ultimately, a thief will take it if they want it. I used to use a pad lock to lock the tire to the spare carrier in the provided loop and then a cable and lock around the trailer through the spare tire which I really had in the event the spare came detached while driving so it wouldn't go flying. I found out that it didn't work when the tire actually did come detached on the highway. It was a little lesson in physics versus how strong I thought solid steel cables were.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Putting the spare wheel up the front increases the effort needed to lift ( by a large amount ) the boat onto the towball,
It makes a big difference if you're an old geezer like me
jockey wheel handle clearance can also be affected

l solved the problem by moving closer to the ramp ( ~ 500 yds ) and ditching the spare wheel

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A spare on the tongue can only help with weight distribution. Many trailers are already too light on tongue weight. With a dolly wheel, there should be no effort loading on the trailer hitch ball anyway.

Obviously, its location, location, location. If the spare conflicts with the dolly or winch handles its not positioned correctly. There is a way to mount one on every trailer - just takes some ingenuity.

A flat is a flat is a flat. If I have one I one I won't drive more than 50 feet! The one time I had one and drove 500 yards on the interstate I not only ruined the tire, but the wheel as well. Not my fault though. It took me that far to slow down......LOL.

Or, you can be like many, many others and go without a spare and hope for the best. My son did that (much to my chagrin) and when he had a flat, for the cost of the off-hours Sunday tow truck, new tire and wheel, new spare tire, etc,. he could have bought 4 new spare tires and mounts, and still gotten to his vacation spot on time...

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
A spare on the tongue can only help with weight distribution. Many trailers are already too light on tongue weight. With a dolly wheel, there should be no effort loading on the trailer hitch ball anyway.

Obviously, its location, location, location. If the spare conflicts with the dolly or winch handles its not positioned correctly. There is a way to mount one on every trailer - just takes some ingenuity.

A flat is a flat is a flat. If I have one I one I won't drive more than 50 feet! The one time I had one and drove 500 yards on the interstate I not only ruined the tire, but the wheel as well. Not my fault though. It took me that far to slow down......LOL.

Or, you can be like many, many others and go without a spare and hope for the best. My son did that (much to my chagrin) and when he had a flat, for the cost of the off-hours Sunday tow truck, new tire and wheel, new spare tire, etc,. he could have bought 4 new spare tires and mounts, and still gotten to his vacation spot on time...

I know when l put a spare wheel and holder on the tongue of this 15ft runabout l struggled lifting it on to the vehicle whereas earlier l could do it much easier prior... admittedly that was when l was a fit young chap

at the time it did not have a full size jockey wheel on the trailer...simply did not need one...after struggling with the rotten thing for yrs l decided to stop asking for help and fit a proper jockey wheel six months ago,

Works much, much better with out the stoopid spare wheel in the way lol

l also have only had one boat flat tyre in decades...wrecked the tyre and rim at hwy speeds plus the boat was loaded to the gills with holiday junk,
but l did pull up in about 100 yards or so as opposed to your 500 yds...

based on that experience...and since l can't remember the last time l had a flat tyre on a 4wd or car either ..l suspect it will be many, many years before l have a flat tyre on that boat trailer in the future given the short 400 yd distance to the boat ramp...a block away.
I'm prepared to risk it,

the morale of this story?
move closer to the boat ramp lol

thereth this lesson endth

ggray

Seaman
OK, some clarification.

I have the Fulton mount as mentioned by AllDodge in post #2. Mounted as pictured, so the spare is vertical.

But if I install a swing hinge, I would need to "rotate" the mount around the 3X3 tongue such that the wheel is horizontal, and offset to one side of the tongue.

Has anyone done this? I worry about the torque on the tongue from the weight of the wheel

There isn't room between tongue and boat for the tire mounted as GM280 has done

jkust

Rear Admiral
OK, some clarification.

I have the Fulton mount as mentioned by AllDodge in post #2. Mounted as pictured, so the spare is vertical.

But if I install a swing hinge, I would need to "rotate" the mount around the 3X3 tongue such that the wheel is horizontal, and offset to one side of the tongue.

Has anyone done this? I worry about the torque on the tongue from the weight of the wheel

There isn't room between tongue and boat for the tire mounted as GM280 has done

I mentioned that my entire spare tire broke away from the trailer earlier up, it was due to the weld on the spare tire holder itself which is the weak point not the 3x3 frame of the trailer. The manufacturer stepped up and paid for the damages admitting a faulty weld on model I had purchased from them. They were exceptionally pleased that nobody died from their faulty product given how many people almost crashed on a major highway when the whole thing bounced into traffic. Point being, I wouldn't concern myself with the trailer and the torque. I'm not sure what kind of boats you all have but no one person can lift the tongue of my trailer with the boat on it. It's just too heavy and there is no place to grab on.

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
My trailer didn't come with a spare either, so I welded up a mount for one. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• photo306730.jpg
    photo306730.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

ggray

Seaman
Wow, that would get your attention!

Was your mount installed the way I'm considering, with the wheel oriented horizontally, or oriented vertically as is normally done? And how big a wheel? If vertically, I've got concerns about the mount installation I have now.

Your experience has dissuaded me from doing it as I have asked here, as that would certainly subject the mount to more stress. I need to keep looking.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Wow, that would get your attention!

Was your mount installed the way I'm considering, with the wheel oriented horizontally, or oriented vertically as is normally done? And how big a wheel? If vertically, I've got concerns about the mount installation I have now.

Your experience has dissuaded me from doing it as I have asked here, as that would certainly subject the mount to more stress. I need to keep looking.

You hit it on the head, the angled spare tire carrier is subject to stress and ultimately, the spare tire holder manufacturer produced a flawed design and had ceased making it and instead redesigned it with more than one weld at its most stressed point. They were fielding the damage complaints one by one, paying them and hoping nobody would get killed which I can't believe didn't happen in my instance. My trailer was severely damaged and an entire line of cars had to dodge it including the one behind me whereby the entire tire/rim and broken holder bounced over his car. At a minimum, I would just pay attention to the weld. The sheer force of this even snapped my solid steel cable in half and snapped my very thick transom tiedowns as well. As I said, it was a bit of a reality check when all of your safety systems are overcome at what you thought were their strongest points. I hate towing and one of the reasons I don't do it any longer and just bought a house on the lake.

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
Here's some better photos of my mount, the boat comes to about 3 inches of the tire, it's never hit the tire when loading.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo306800.jpg
    photo306800.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • photo306801.jpg
    photo306801.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1