boarding ladder for trailer.

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to put a ladder on front of trailer to get on and off boat while trailered or putting boat back on trailer. I only have about 30" from front of boat to hitch. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I could possibly load the boat a little farther aft. toons are even with back of trailer and hanging over front,

ahicks

Captain
You need to put the 'toon wherever it takes (on the trailer) to get the tongue weight you need. Ladders I've seen use the winch stand for support. Not a lot of choices where that can go either

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Let me emphasize what ahicks said about tongue weight. If you have the weight too far aft, the trailer will become unstable at towing speed and can lead to complete loss of control of both the trailer and the tow vehicle. I know this from personal experience.

alldodge

Staff member
Look up pontoon trailers and most have ladders made part of the tongue. Find one you like and see if you can get a welder to make something similar

ahicks

Captain
Second thought regarding tongue weight. Those axles are pretty easy to move around. So you could move the boat where you wanted to on the trailer, then adjust axle placement as necessary. I would want the trailer under the last/rearmost cross member of the boat supported by the trailer.

I have seen kits to add steps to the winch stand, but it's been a while. Worthwhile doing some hunting via the internet. Will post back if I run across a set.

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
Got tired of looking so My brother in law had some 2 X 3 Channel so I gut the pieces with my 4" cut off grinder and had them welded. I painted them mounted them applied non slip treads. Now to add a handrail from 3/4 conduit and it will be done

Attachments

• photo307755.jpg
    photo307755.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
I'd suggest that some sort of hand rail might save somebody a really nasty tumble.......

Other than that, looks good to me as well.

MRS

Commander
Got tired of looking so My brother in law had some 2 X 3 Channel so I gut the pieces with my 4" cut off grinder and had them welded. I painted them mounted them applied non slip treads. Now to add a handrail from 3/4 conduit and it will be done

He is add the hand rails nice job on the ladder you will love it. Have one on mine could not live with out it again great job.
Wish I could weld never learned how to but if I did I would probably ruin more stuff than I do now.:facepalm:

rescuer

Seaman Apprentice
I did google and even called a couple of manufacturers and the short distance I have from hitch to boat is not much on this 18 ft toon. Rather than pay 300 for a winch and ladder I built one that fits. I will add a 3/4 conduit handrail soon, before we take it out. I will show pictures with handrail when it is complete.Thanks for the advice and thanks for looking