94 Starcraft Superfisherman floor replacement

fishhead1955

Recruit
I have a 94 Starcraft Superfisherman looking to do a floor replacement. Any advice. I am good with construction.

Attachments

• photo301897.jpg
    photo301897.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Its a big task. Done right youll be glad you did it. Your going to love removing the carpet if its glued to anything your not replacing. Theres a factor that makes doing this yourself better than paying someone else. Id pick up some piece of what ever from the mountain of pieces and there was a mountain of pieces. Some nights I would be out there working on what have you and id look at that pile with confidence my boat would be like new again. From time to time a buddy would come over most were sad fearing my boat that they had fished out of so long was in that many pieces. Howver After thousands of hours in this boat I knew where every piece went. No one else could have done this job correctly. I used high quality plywood fitted all pieces, all holes pre drilled and two coats of marine epoxy, covered everthing in marine vinyl. It was worth the costs and time. I started right about now September or October and finished about May worked as much as i could over the winter. One hang up I had was keeping my shop warm enough for the epoxy to cure at 65 degrees it took a week between coats at 75 overnight. Each layer required the previous to be done and installed because the plywood and vinyl alters everything from the origonal pieces.

Attachments

• photo283468.jpg
    photo283468.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • photo283469.jpg
    photo283469.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • photo300603.jpg
    photo300603.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • photo300604.jpg
    photo300604.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • photo301903.jpg
    photo301903.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • photo301904.jpg
    photo301904.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • photo301905.jpg
    photo301905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
One thing I didn't mention theres a lot of information about plywood in boats. Theres a risk no matter how you do it. If you seal all sides and holes and water moisture gets in it cant get out and you can have rot just as fast as if you did nothing. Some think sealing the tops and edges is not only easier but just as good. And then a lot of boat manufacturers just install the wood like it is. My boats live outdoors we also fish in hard rain the kind of rain that makes you think you should get another hobbie. So water is going to be inside my boats year round. And I had to drill quite a few holes through my sealed panels before it was all done. I did apply silicone to them before I put screw or bolts through them. I guess in another 20 years Ill know if they floor rots out faster in thos areas than the rest. I really good cover with supports is vital. I wash and dry my boat before I put it away and when I pull the cover next spring it looks like it was shrink wrapped inside. So plan on a new cover when you wrap up the flooring.