Lucky Clutch

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did a lower unit reseal job on my 1998 non electric shift 30 Horse Johnson. Watched an excellent youtube video showing how to do it. The gentleman doing the job on the video had told how to refit the detent ball bearings and their tension spring under the dog clutch, when the clutch slides down on the prop shaft when removing the mechanisms from the gearcase.. His comments and posts by others about the subject pointed out how very difficult it is to keep those ball bearings in place when sliding the dog clutch over them, even saying that a pro mechanic with his special guard tool finds it very difficult to do. I lucked out, though, my dog clutch stayed in place over the detent balls during disassembly, handling, and refitting to the prop shaft. I'm wondering if I should of taken that clutch off the shaft to see if it were seized there due to corrosion, debris, etc. or if maybe this engine is designed for the dog clutch to be retained easily on the prop shaft. I'm wondering if others working on this particular type of lower unit have ever found th
eir dog clutch didn't slide down the prop shaft during disassembly?

Attachments

• photo298088.jpg
    photo298088.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I normally have the clutch dog in place on the fork and cradle and then slide the propshaft in.-----Never a problem.

Kiggsia

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for reply, but I'm thinking the problem isn't getting the shaft with clutch dog, fork and cradle back into the gearcase, I'm thinking it's getting the clutch dog back onto the shaft if it has came off, while keeping detent balls on location, how does that go for you?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I use grease to hold the balls in place.------I put the clutch dog into the cradle and fork first,---Then install the propshaft.