1993 Bayliner Capri 1750 cleaning help

Dustyhuntliner

Recruit
I just bought my first boat last Friday and can't find help on how to remove scratches. I figured out the oxidization was easy after 5 hours of scrubbing. If anyone knows best way please let me know.

Attachments

• photo293617.jpg
    photo293617.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

You probably will not be able to do much to remedy those scratches. Too much . . . too big.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is dock rash.

it doesnt look too deep, so a good wet-sanding followed by cutting compound and a 7" variable speed polisher

or a giant 55 gallon tube of elbow grease

Fcdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its not paint.....its factory finish Gelcoat. ..... you need to google process for wet sanding Gelcoat & componding to remove scratches....its a step by step process using fine grades of sanding and then componding. If scratches go deep they can be filled with matching Gelcoat mix....but that process is another level of skill...just about every good Marina/boatyard has Fiberglass Repair Pros who can do it for you.

briangcc

Commander
Depending on the depth of the gouges, and it doesn't look all that bad to me, you can probably get the gouges out of the hull band gel coat with rubbing compound and elbow grease. I'd suggest waxing it afterwards.

Those tape stripes below the hull band would need to be removed or replaced as you're not getting the gouges out of them.