Evinrude, 15 hp, 4 stroke, no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver_S

Recruit
Hi Everyone
I am new because I have an issue with my outboarder.
I hope someone can help me.

The engine is an:
Evinrude, E15FRELEUA, 15 hp, 4 stroke, 1996, 2 cylinder.

Problem:
The engine won’t start. I think it is the ignition. There is only sometimes a weak or almost no spark.
Based on a repair manual I checked a lot of things:

Spark plugs: look good, they are new
Ignition cable: I checked the resistance and they are good
Ignition coil: Resistance between primary and ground = 0,3 ohms, between secondary and secondary = 2300 ohms
Powerpack: I checked the voltage with an Oscilloscope. It goes up to 100V, but only for a short time. I added a screenshot with the voltage below.

Stator: I checked the following things on the 4-pin connector:
- Resistance between orange and orange/black cable: 57 ohms
- Voltage between orange and ground = 20 V
- voltage between orange/black and ground = 0V
- voltage between orange orange/black = 80 V
And at the 2-pin connector:
- resistance between yellow and ground = 1,3 megohms
- resistance between yellow/white and ground = 0 ohms
- voltage between yellow and ground = 0V
- voltage between yellow/white and ground = 20V

Since the values form the stator are not the same as the requirements from the repair manual I removed the stator and could see a damage on the housing. The plastic was melted.
So the stator has been replaced.

But, not changes. Still the same issues with the engine. No changes to the spark and the engine still does not start.

I also tested a new ignition coil. The original is not available anymore, but I have a replacement. It did not help. Same issue.

I am thinking about to change the power pack, but am not sure if this is really the broken part. The voltage measurement shows 100V like describe in the repair manual but only for a short peak. The rest of the signal looks strange to me. But I do not have any experience with ignition systems.

I already spend 300 for a stator without success and do want to spend another 300 for a power pack without being sure that the part is bad.

Any idea or experience what to check?
I wrote a lot about the kill switch. To bypass the kill switch, I disconnected the harness from the power pack. Is that correct or is any shortcut between the two pins required?

Thanks to all!
Oliver

Attachments

• photo286146.png
    photo286146.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 4

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
doesn't sound like the stop switch/kill switch (can check the switch with simple continuity testing).

Check/measure the spark with an adjustable tester -- both plugs removed to get the highest rpm.

Believe that is a '97 model, btw.

Oliver_S

Recruit
Thanks for the feedback

I found the cdi troubleshooting guide, but the section for my 2 cylinder, 4 stroke engine is not included.
Yes, it looks like you are right. It is the 97s model. The name plate says 1996 but the model is from 1997.

I already checked the spark with an adjustable tester. While cranking I could see sometimes a few tiny sparks, but nothing compared to another running engine where I checked the spark tester. I do not remember if I disconnected both plugs while testing. I ‘ll check that.

It looks like some bad connection or ground, but I checked and cleaned the connectors and could not find any issue.
I do not understand why there are sometimes a few sparks but most of the time nothing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is an optical ignition.----Single input to the coil and both cylinders fire at the same time.-----The optical pick-up is part of the powerpack and it makes for expensive parts.----Perhaps a local shop can help you determine whether it is the coil or the powerpack that is at fault.

Last edited:

Oliver_S

Recruit
Hi again

It took a while but now I changed the power pack but without success. Still no spark. So I changed the stator (which was broken) the power pack and coil. No spark at all.
Is there any other part that can block the sparks like oil pressure sensor, temperature sensor...?
Can I disconnect everything and still run the engine and start with hand rope? That means only the stator is connected to the power pack and power pack to coil? No rectifier, battery or key switch and so on.

Thanks
Oliver

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wire from oil pressure switch goes to the powerpack I believe.

Oliver_S

Recruit
Yes, the wire from temperature and oil sensors are going to the power pack. What I do not understand if I need all these connections or if I can disconnect them for fault diagnostic.
This engine drives me crazy.

tdo123

Recruit
Did u ever find or fix the problem with your motor? I’m having the same issues with not getting any spark but sometimes engine would pop.

tdo123

Recruit
Yes, the wire from temperature and oil sensors are going to the power pack. What I do not understand if I need all these connections or if I can disconnect them for fault diagnostic.
This engine drives me crazy.

If u have any input please help me out, Thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did u ever find or fix the problem with your motor? I’m having the same issues with not getting any spark but sometimes engine would pop.

Stop posting in old threads. Start a thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.