Questions about tilt/trim install on 1991 Force 90 hp

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I recently bought a Bayliner Capri 1800 with manual tilt and I am going to install a used hydraulic tilt/trim unit.

Can someone please post a picture or describe where to connect the red power and black ground leads from the solenoids to the engine? I understand how to connect the green and blue leads. There are already green and blue wires in the harness going from the engine to the dashboard area.

Also, what parts of the manual tilt need to be removed? There is a sliding arm on the starboard side, a sliding arm with lock (for full tilt) on port side. There is a latch in the center to lock motor to the cross bar.

Thanks in advance!
Barry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
"Also, what parts of the manual tilt need to be removed? There is a sliding arm on the starboard side, a sliding arm with lock (for full tilt) on port side. There is a latch in the center to lock motor to the cross bar"
​All of that needs to be removed

The T@T does it have the solenoids? you need to find them.
​The B/G from the trim motor go into the solenoids. Then the wires from the solenoid harness get attached to the wires to the front of the boat.
​Does it have an "up and down" switch in the shifter?

Pics of what you have?

​You'll need 3 posts to add pics.
Or use a photo sharing site.

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
I think I found out where to connect the power and ground wires from the solenoids. There are vacant connection screws next to the red and black wires near the bottom of the electrical board on the port side of the motor:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z7IJ3NQWwx3mfA5G3
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jlIFIvcyJUDAVvbr1

There are blue and green wires in the existing wiring harness from the dashboard to the motor to connect to the corresponding wires on the solenoids.

No, I do not have an up/down switch on the shifter. I ordered a generic switch that I will mount near the shifter and connect to blue, green, and power under the dash.

Manual tilt parts:

Latch mechanism in center: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gLuxrmIxHcaDPd313

Slider on starboard side: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xiuTBWAHe8RKHrJx1

Slider with latch on port side. This holds engine at full tilt when latched: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQWrOBjBMPIlsb8m1

Is there a way to release hydraulic pressure and manually raise or lower the hydraulic tilt/trim?

Thank you!!
Barry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No on the location.
They(relays) go towards the front on the bottom of the cowl.
There is 2 empty screw holes there.

Relays: e-bay "force outboard relays" a bunch show up.
These should be used as the power drain is pretty hard on the regular wiring.

The last 2 pics: all those parts need to go.
They'll get in the way when installing the new stuff.

The last pic.
That's the tilt bar that the motor rests on when the other stuff is gone.
​The hyd pressure as you tilt it down will hold it in place.

The easiest way is to remove the motor from the boat.
If the motors ever been in salt water??? the job just became about IMPOSSIBLE to do without breaking something.
Even in fresh water it can be tough.
​You'll probably need an acetylene torch and lots of patience. :)

I might have some of the parts you need.
I'll look and see.

The T@T switch is a fairly heavy duty one if you don't use the relays.

​Fill out a signature for your posts and include a location.
You never know, you might be close to someone who can help??

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Barry welcome aboard. Where are you located? If by chance you are near Rhode Island, I could help. I did mine recently. Not to hard.

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the offer Simple Man but I am in Ventura County, California, dodging fires right now. Rhode Island is a great place to boat. I love Block Island.

Thanks for the info Jerry!

Here is a picture of what I bought on Ebay. Relays and transom mount are included, although I don't plan on using the transom engine mount. Mine is fine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jIocI3g6iOaJHGmA2

I still don't totally understand where to connect the red and black wires from the relays but maybe it will become clear when I receive the item. It is in transit right now.

The boat was a freshwater boat since new. I have had it in salt water a few times in the last month. It was flushed and washed down each time and lives in my garage now. Hopefully it will come apart OK. No visible corrosion.

I ordered a generic trim/tilt switch that should hook up OK near the shifter.

Take care,
Barry

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
OK, I found 2 empty screw holes. I assume these are where to mount the 2 solenoids:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kUw5vScntYNWkNBr1

Simple Man, if you are able to send a picture of the inside of your engine with the cowl off that would be great! I just need help with the red and black wire connections.

Barry

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! This is great. I will figure out from here.

Barry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The black goes to where the N part of the battery cable hooks(under the starter.
​The circuit breaker, it connects to the side of the cowl about 3" from where the solenoids mount.
​Then the power red wire is picked up from the + side of the solenoid.

Sometime the solenoids go bad when changing or removing the wiring.
​If it goes up but not down or the other way, change the relays.
They can be gotten at any auto store.
​But they won't have the mounting tab :( you can add that if needed?

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
I found the parts diagram for the tilt/trim. I understand the wiring now and where the parts mount inside the cowl. Thanks everyone!

Barry

Power Trim.gif

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
I received the tilt/trim from Ebay. It looks like a nice fresh water unit with no visible corrosion. It is off an engine of the same year and HP as mine. It includes the stern bracket and swivel bracket as one assembled unit.

Should I replace the whole bracket including tilt/trim as a unit? I would have to lift the motor off of the "king pin", remove the steering cable and wiring, etc. Then remove the bracket from the transom. Is there a risk of damaging the transom in the process? I'd have to rent an engine lift and fabricate a lifting eye.

Or should I just transfer the tilt/trim parts? I'd have to remove the manual tilt hardware (probably not a big deal). Then I'd have to disassemble the new bracket. Would I have to disconnect the hydraulic lines and transfer the pump separately (and bleed)? Or could I transfer all of the parts as a unit, held together by the metal lines? I don't want to damage/bend the hydraulic lines.

The bracket on my boat is also in good shape. So, no real advantage to replacing the bracket based upon corrosion.

Thanks!
Barry

Attachments

• photo283170.jpg
    photo283170.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283171.jpg
    photo283171.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? the motor turns easily?? then no don't mess with the king pin.

It would be way easier to remove and replace if the motor was off the boat.

On the king pin bracket is a thrust plate.
Make sure it gets transferred to the right spot.
Otherwise it will destroy the bracket.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
when I did mine, I just swapped the parts to my existing clamps. You might have to loosen the transom bolts to fit the parts between the clamps.

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
I see the steel thrust plate. I will make sure it gets transferred. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I will just transfer the parts to my bracket. The motor turns very easily now.

Is there a way to release hydraulic pressure on these units to manually raise the engine? I know some other models have a pressure release screw. I do not see one on the parts diagram.

Barry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No release on these.
If you need to raise/ lower just crack the front line.
Use a line wrench and be careful.

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I installed the tilt/trim a couple of months ago and it is working great now!

Initially I had a problem with significant leak down. I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the factory manual and found out that the problem was in the valve body of the pump. I went through the tear down procedure in the attached post from 2014: "trim drop help". It lead me directly to the problem. The rubber washers inside of the check valves were mush! I bought the new parts at my local lawnmower shop for $7 total.

"The part number that I use for the "O" ring is in a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower needle& valve seat repair kit 398188. Cost is $3 - $5 and you'll need two."

After fixing the check valves, the unit is rock solid with no leak down at all. It's great to be able to adjust the trim while underway now.

Thanks so much to all!
Barry