Sea King Made by Gale 5 Hp(?) I.D.

nelsoje67

Cadet
Hello, thought I would submit a post to ask the age old question of what year and Hp is a motor that I have the opportunity to buy. It is a Montgomery Ward's Sea King and I was told by the owner that it is a 5 Hp motor. Although, when he removed the cover briefly, I thought I only saw one spark plug. All the 5's that I have researched were listed as 2 cylinders? I took a picture of the tag which identifies the model and serial number, but I cant seem to find this particular model number listed on any of the sites that have been referenced here. The model numbers is : GG18732A, and the serial number is 26X841908. I have gathered from reading previous posts that it is a 1962 motor. Odd that none of the reference material lists this model, the closest i seem to find is a GG18735A made in 1961. Does anybody have any idea where i can find this information. I was told it runs and would need a lower fuel line and that the lower unit fill line plug leaks "a bit". I haven't seen or heard it run, but he offered to put in the barrel and show me after I did a little internet snooping.

Attachments

• photo277953.png
    photo277953.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
That should be a 1962 5 hp. Definitely 2 cylinders. Most but not all parts are still available, and many are the same as a 5.5 Johnson/Evinrude of the same vintage. If you get it, plan on spending around $100 and a few hours of time to freshen it up.