Location of water filter/ fuel filter

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can a GLM Water/Fuel Separator Kit be installed above the fuel tank on an I/O. The easiest install location is above the fuel tank, a little higher than the engine. The engine would be to the left of the fuel tank and the fuel to engine line is a down slope all the way to the engine fuel pump. This is a carborated Mercruiser 110 4cyl inline. Would I need a check valv e between the filter and the tank to prevent fuel draining from the filter feed line?

Attachments

• photo275405.jpg
    photo275405.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Line already has a check with the anti siphon valve. Best to mount the fuel filter lower

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Scott. I am unable to mount it lower than the tank. The transom at the engine fuel connection side has all the electrical connections mounted on it behind the battery box. There is an old style small bowl filter just before the fuel pump, but I was unable to get this loose from the fuel pump. I wanted to put the larger GLM system into the fuel system now that Ethanol is in the fuel. I did not mention that this is a 1965 Starcraft Holiday. If I prime the fuel line from the GLM system to the engine with fuel first, would it still be an option, or should I just not install it? The original fuel line just went from the tank, up over the engine, to the bowl filter. What started this is I am replacing all the fuel lines with modern ones rated for ethanol in the fuel.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I believe you could mount the filter on the flybridge, 'n it'll work just fine once primed,....

I'd go with yer plan A,.... Worst case senario, ya prefill the filter when ya change it,...

Easier to get too filters get changed more often,...
'n a canister type is a Great diagnostic tool,....

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo. I will give that prefill a try. Brain fart. Never thought of that.