1969 chrysler 55 horse water pump

jake_A.S.24

Cadet
hi, i recently purchased a boat that has a 1969 chrysler 55 horse outboard engine. The Model number is 5575 and serial number is 1722.

I just want to say that i am pretty new to the boat engines, but i have a good general knowledge of motors. i have been doing a lot of research on here and it has helped me out immensely so far.

I tore the lower unit apart only to discover there was only water in it after running it for the first time in the lake. i did some research on here to find out what i needed to do to get it all sealed back up again. i got the seal kit off of ebay that a couple threads had mentioned and that all worked great. i also decided to get a new water pump impeller, housing, and plates while i was at it. but heres where my frustration begins......

there was a four bolt water pump housing on it when i tore it apart but i questioned why the lower unit only had three bolts for the housing. when i ordered the new one it was a three bolt but i figured all was well because thats probably what should of been on there to begin with. after pulling all the seals out and replacing them there was still one seal that needed to be replaced, and this is where im getting more frustrated, the seal where the drive shaft goes through the water pump housing. so i took my new pump housing (the three bolt pattern) into a local boating store and finally got a new seal ordered, i thought. when i got home the seal they got me does not even come close to fitting the the new housing. but lone behold when i checked it with the four bolt housing it fit. im too determined to use my new one to give up and throw the old one on.

so my question is how do i find the seal for the three bolt water pump housing where the drive shaft goes through. the part number for the new water pump housing is 144060. ive looked around a bit and haven't found what im looking for. ive included a picture of the newer housing also.

i do still have the sel from the four bolt housing and a new seal for that one, but i would like to find the correct seal for the three bolt. any help would be appreciated. and sorry for the long post, i just didnt want to leave out any details. and hopefully its not too confusing.

Attachments

• photo272788.jpg
    photo272788.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo272790.jpg
    photo272790.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo272792.jpg
    photo272792.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo272793.jpg
    photo272793.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo272794.jpg
    photo272794.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
jake... The early Chrysler prior 1970 (I belieave from my own experience) had this three bolt impeller housing.

These housing do not have any seal at driveshaft. There is a stainless steelplate that shall be between the impeller and housing (like the one which is under the impeller agains the LU/oil seal).
This stainless steelplate will make the seal to the drivshaft with the rubber part of the impeller/vanes.

If I am not wrong you can use a four bolt housing on that LU. I have done it a couple of times (there were some years ago soo I do not have it in my mind exactly) just do not use the fourth screw.

Later Chrysler from 1970 and up they started to use the four hole housing.