What are you using to write registration numbers on the boat?

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was using adhesive letters and it looks like they are peeling right off. What is the best way to make them stick? Or is there another way to get the registration numbers on the boat? Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What type material is the hull made from? In 50+ years I don't think I've had stickers peel off any boat. You can buy custom stickers from many sign shops, the grade of vinyl and the adhesive can be chosen for how long you want it to last.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when I worked at the sign company we must have painted a few hundred registration letters on inflatables. one shot paint, look for the vinyl banner primer. (or find a sign company, we used to charge $20, however that was in the late 80's)

I cut some long 4" tall strips out of a tote lid and stuck the letters and tax stickers to that, and I hang it from my forward seat straps with a small cord and a carabiner. I called my states DNR to ask if that was OK and they said it was fine. Some claim the coast guard is not so forgiving so I used some stencils and some "Dip-it" spray paint to put them on the boat for coastal use and it is easy to remove. I do not want a permanent number on my tubes because at some point I will either sell the boat or switch states of registration.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What type material is the hull made from? In 50+ years I don't think I've had stickers peel off any boat. You can buy custom stickers from many sign shops, the grade of vinyl and the adhesive can be chosen for how long you want it to last.

​When I saw the question I didn't pay attention to the exact forum, so my answer wasn't targeted to your exact question. The material can still make a difference, but follow SD's info.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Every State has their own crazy rules on how big the letters need to and some States insist they cannot be readily removed. I am legally able to simply attach a 2x4 and have been using that system for 10 years. I had mine painted on until last year when a rough storm got boat fender/bumper rub between boat and dock. I bought adhesive stick on's and will see how they work. Guess they're cheap enough. Haaaaa...just noticed the Zodiac has the State decal on wrong end.

Attachments

• photo272374.jpg
    photo272374.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272375.jpg
    photo272375.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 0

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
when I worked at the sign company we must have painted a few hundred registration letters on inflatables. one shot paint, look for the vinyl banner primer. (or find a sign company, we used to charge $20, however that was in the late 80's)

The only negative with painting is if and when I sell the boat it may be difficult to take it off.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Every State has their own crazy rules on how big the letters need to and some States insist they cannot be readily removed. I am legally able to simply attach a 2x4 and have been using that system for 10 years. I had mine painted on until last year when a rough storm got boat fender/bumper rub between boat and dock. I bought adhesive stick on's and will see how they work. Guess they're cheap enough. Haaaaa...just noticed the Zodiac has the State decal on wrong end.

I need to check with CA more carefully. I don't think there are any such restrictions.

anzai123

Cadet
I just bought a inflatable boat. I am in Los Angeles area. Well I don't know California rule but went ahead and bought these number plates from boatnumberplate.com/ These will be permanently attached. As ondarvr says, when you sell your boat, the registration number will go with it just like selling cars. ( I tried to attach a picture of the actual registration plate but I was not allowed to because this is my first post.) The size of the letters are 2" x 2".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The only negative with painting is if and when I sell the boat it may be difficult to take it off.

unless you change state, the number stays the same

however for the 2 or 3 that changed state, we simply painted a white rectangle and painted new numbers. most of the time the dinghy gets tossed and replaced because the material degrades after about 15 years.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a inflatable boat. I am in Los Angeles area. Well I don't know California rule but went ahead and bought these number plates from boatnumberplate.com/ These will be permanently attached. As ondarvr says, when you sell your boat, the registration number will go with it just like selling cars. ( I tried to attach a picture of the actual registration plate but I was not allowed to because this is my first post.) The size of the letters are 2" x 2".

Thanks. I will try the website.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
On my first sib I used a couple of pieces of cutting board like material and I just stuck the numbers on without glue...didn't fall off. On my next sib I used the same boards for the numbers but glued the registration sticker on the tubes...the stickers are coming unglued. Texas law reads like the boards would not be legal but no one has yet to say anything about them.

79 (1).JPG

79.JPG

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On my first sib I used a couple of pieces of cutting board like material and I just stuck the numbers on without glue...didn't fall off. On my next sib I used the same boards for the numbers but glued the registration sticker on the tubes...the stickers are coming unglued. Texas law reads like the boards would not be legal but no one has yet to say anything about them.

I don't have the boat on a trailer. I am planning to inflate and deflate it everytime. Last time I inflated it the registration stickers were peeling as well.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I don't have the boat on a trailer. I am planning to inflate and deflate it everytime. Last time I inflated it the registration stickers were peeling as well.

My Zodiac Zoom has the same problem if you deflate it with stick-on numbers start peeling off when you inflate, so I got the Boatnumberplate.com ones
boat_pic_for_web_jpeg_ezr.jpg

step1_ezr.jpg

They've been on there 5 or 6 years and still look great

I don't think there's anyone else that does this.