New to pontoons

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
I've had v bottom ski boats and 21' bow rider but this is my first project pontoon boat

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
So my family was too big for my 88 galaxy admiral. I loved that boat, it was 21' and heavier than most bow riders. I was told it was set up for salt water, it had a mercruser 170 and a alpha one stern drive. It also had a cool feature, a heat exchanger. It had antifreeze in the motor. It was a wander full boat but now that we have four boys and a little girl ohh and four boxers the ol girl just wasn't big enough and wife didn't think it was safe enough ( it rocked too much for her). So I sold her ( the boat) and got a 30' sun tracker party barge. Got it for $800 it had a new floor but that's it oh and the upper half of a 30 hp Johnson.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
Well my brother in law gave me a old 1973 Chrysler 70 hp outboard that haven't ran in 11 yrs but it ran when we parked it in his field. I hope I can get it running I think it would be better than the 30 hp motor

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome aboard! :welcome:

You picked a great forum to ask for help and advice.

We love pictures here.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

here's the project

Attachments

• photo270438.jpg
    photo270438.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 0

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
I tried posting pics of motor but keeps telling me pic is too big

ahicks

Captain
Dusty, going to be blunt here. If that Chrysler checks out OK, then fine. If it doesn't, I would look for a different engine. My experience has been that there is no end to expensive repairs with them - that, and the fact parts can be difficult to find.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
Dusty, going to be blunt here. If that Chrysler checks out OK, then fine. If it doesn't, I would look for a different engine. My experience has been that there is no end to expensive repairs with them - that, and the fact parts can be difficult to find.

​right now it fires but wont stay running, I'm not sure if its enough motor for the toon but better than half a 30hp maybe in a yr or two I can get a better one, just right now I miss the lake and the above ground pool we have is a pain

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
and what sort of a new floor, and yes it matters

​he told me its 3/4" ply not sure what kind and it has new carpet. I've red a few discussions on flooring on here and suspect ill be replacing in a yr or so. also seating and captains control I need to figure that out my wife wants new but that's a few grand and not sure I want to spend that much this early in build. I'm kind of a jack of all trades and expert of none so I can build and work with my hands.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
if you dont know then you need to find out, once you start putting things on the deck its 3 times the work, if you can look at a sheet edge it should be 7 not 5 layers but then its your time and back

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going this weekend to look at it at the in-laws farm. I didn't know how important different plywood was until I red a post by domwebhost on his pontoon build and the many options there is.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dusty78,
I suspect the worst thing is when people think pressure treated plywood is a good alternative because it is better suited for outdoor use. The chemical commonly used to treat that plywood is corrosive to many metals including the aluminum routinely used in pontoon boats. So I suggest you look for signs of chemical reaction where your plywood touches the metal and get it off soon if you see it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
As long as it isn't pressure treated you'll be fine. I grew up going out all the time on an uncle's pontoon where all the furniture had rotted out. He stripped it down to just the deck and coated it with something grippy (probably just paint with sand in it). He build two large wooden boxes with padded lids, one for each side and added a couple deck chairs. The only things fastened down to the deck were the console and captains chair..It was great. Go fishing or clamming and make a mess? Just hose the thing down when you're done. It was a big toon like your and he pushed it with a 70HP. If you can get the Chrysler to run with just carb kits or whatever I'd run it. Nothing particularly bad about them. Just parts are tough to get.

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
looked a boat today its 5 layers and its not treated but does have new carpet, I weigh around 400 lbs and walked the deck bouncing around it feels sturdy but I know were talking about longevity here and not strength. my wife and her boys haven't been out on lakes and rivers much so they scare easy in deep water but I'm hoping I can get them to see how much fun it can be. so if I fail then we wont hardly use boat in ill probably sell it and get me a bass boat but I'm hoping they will fall in love with it. it funny they think if its not a swimming pool its not meant for swimming lol

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
I have a few pics if I can figure out how to shrink them to post

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
avoid it like the clap, 5 layers is roofing plywood and will fall apart, pus the structural intergerty has been compromised and why its for sale, its from some one who has no morals and wants to pass it along

Dusty78

Seaman Apprentice
its not for sell yet and I hope it never is but if the wife and kids cant get comfortable on the lake then I wont get to use it much. that's why I'm wanting to get the motor going and deal with the floor I have so I can take them out on it a few times and get them to see how much fun it can be. then I can spend money on it to do things right.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dusty78,
I suspect the worst thing is when people think pressure treated plywood is a good alternative because it is better suited for outdoor use. The chemical commonly used to treat that plywood is corrosive to many metals including the aluminum routinely used in pontoon boats. So I suggest you look for signs of chemical reaction where your plywood touches the metal and get it off soon if you see it.

You guys realize all treated plywood is treated right? The stuff commonly found at Lowes is ACQ or MCQ or one of the other chemicals that are not as common. Marine ply is still allowed by law to be treated with CCA, it is also pressure treated. Back when all ply that was treated the only difference is the amout of chemical the wood retains referred to in PCF or pounds per cubic foot of wood. They use this same designation of above ground treated wood and ground contact treated wood. The three levels of treatment are the above ground, ground contact, and then marine, we'll poles and piles are different piles have a crazy amout of chemical, something over a pound or two per CUFT.

But they all go into a giant pressure treating vessel. It's like a giant capsule. Has rail tracks into it. They load the car push the wood into it, close the door, pull a vacuum and then flood the vessel with water and chemical for a determined time.

I have a forestry degree and a minot in wood products. And I have been to a mill where they treated marine plywood.

Just giveing a total story here.