Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: I Feel Old School or Just Old.

Welcome. We old guys won't discriminate against young blood. 60 mph a bit of an exaggeration but the need for speed is a big rush and and what keeps me coming back.

Petty Officer 1st Class 75TowerOfPower's Avatar

I started skiing when i was about 7 or so and then dropped one around 12 and have been out everyonce and awhile since. I am 24 now and I love crossing the wake on a single and of course all of my friends are in to wake boarding. it is funny to see their reaction to me ripping a set versus them jumping 2' and eating their face. I have converted a few to atleast try. I guess i am old school since I learned on the boat I currently own. And I know we have taught over 30 ppl to ski behind it, its going to be tough to let her go.
    1997 Crownline 202 BR
    5.7L Merc. w/ Alpha 1 Gen. II

Sold 1974 15'6" Mark Twain with a '79 115 HP Merc' Tower of Power.

Cadet

Started skiing in 1964 at 8 years old behind my dad's 18' fishing boat with an 18 horse Johnson! My older brother and I started slalom on an old Voit with a tunnel fin and a Cypress Gardens "Lil Monster". We bought one of the first O'brien's that came out....a wooden 72". Loved that ski......super stable....easy to ride......but I found out how sluggish it was on turns when I got on my cousins 64" O'brien composite ski....that thing was fun.....easy to drag the elbows every turn!

I'm 54 now and just back into boating now with a 22' pontoon. Not exactly a ski boat but we got a jet ski too....so I'm tempted to BORROW a ski and give it a try again before I BUY one
    2005 Bennington 2275LX
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke

Go for it. A jet ski is actually pretty fun to ski behind. Probably more of a challenge for the driver if the skier decides to get too aggressive.

The low, foamy wake is sweet. The low mass of the jet ski (plus the ease with which you can pull it down, and how quickly it accelerates back up to speed) makes for a tow like on a big soft bungee cord. Pretty easy on the body. Hole shot is very quick if you've got one with any kind of HP.

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by skibrain View Post
    Go for it. A jet ski is actually pretty fun to ski behind. Probably more of a challenge for the driver if the skier decides to get too aggressive.

The low, foamy wake is sweet. The low mass of the jet ski (plus the ease with which you can pull it down, and how quickly it accelerates back up to speed) makes for a tow like on a big soft bungee cord. Pretty easy on the body. Hole shot is very quick if you've got one with any kind of HP.
    Agreed! I have both skied and towed with an older JetSki this one we just got is a used Kawasaki Ultra 150. I don't know much about them but it has 150 HP 2 stroke.
    We pulled a tube last weekend with it to some scary speeds! I'm not sure how it will pull with a deep water start but I am in decent shape so we'll see!
    I'll wait for the outcome before posting any pics!
    2005 Bennington 2275LX
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke

Senior Chief Petty Officer SeanT's Avatar

I LOVE pulling tubers on a sea doo. Much more manouverable and I can build up a choppy (fun filled ) maelstrom much more easily than in my boat.

I would agree that skiing behind a PWC is fine, but I can tell you that it is definitely harder on the driver. We had a 255HP Seadoo RXT but I couldn't keep speed constant enough. We started talking about programming the second key for a maximum speed so you just have to hold it WOT, but ended up selling the sea doo for other reasons before we had a serious chance to try it.
    1998 Moomba Outback, Indmar Blackhawk 350ci

Petty Officer 2nd Class lrcustom's Avatar

Skibrain,
    Look at that cut, that form, those square shoulders, perfect hand position, ski tip pointed at the tow rig. Did you just start doin this???
    Man you rock (for a kinda old guy)
    Keep doin what your doin.
    I need some water.

LR
    LR Custom
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/87-sea-ray-seville-restore-376954.html
    87 Sea Ray Restore
    May the sunrise find you on the water and the sunset find you at peace with the day.

LR, Thanks for the kind words. Stop by MN some morning and we'll drop you into the rotation! It will all come back like you never missed a beat.

I just bought a boat and the first thing I'll be trying is skiing (by virtue of the fact that my boat came with skis )

I want to try wakeboarding too to see which one I like more. If anything from snow-skiing translates, I'll probably like skiing more. My favorite part of alpine skiing is going fast and carving big wide turns, and really digging the edge in to feel the g-forces in the turn. Favorite part of snowboarding was... not catching an edge and faceplanting. Never got into doing jumps, but maybe I'll be less intimidated by landing on water when it's not frozen.

Captain

It's funny that I see wake boarders all the time behind dedicated ski boats but have yet to see any talent what so ever. Haven't seen anything but a basic jump all season. It is actually disappointing to see the lack of skill but so many wake boarders. Now how is that cooler than the guy slaloming above? I grew up before wake boards and I can tell you knee boarding, not just jumping but all the tricks, is hard. Wake boarders have the benefit of their leg muscles. A good knee boarder can do a flip with zero wake actually outside the wake.
    2003 Chaparral 183SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a wakeboard boat, but it does have a tower on it. I have a wakeboard, but have not tried it yet. Bought it at Academy on summer end sale, 60% off. Why not pick one up and try it at that price. I use the tower for wakeboarding. I would try to ski, but between the 2 tubes the kids want to take, the kneeboard and the wakeboard, we are pretty full up for the day.
    When I do get the chance to try the wakeboard I would do it because it was fun not because it is "cool". I may try it and hate it who knows.
    2010 Tahoe Q5I-- TX HEAT WAVE
    MerCruiser 4.3L MPI 220

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do both (I'm old), my son does both (he's young).

It kinda bugs me when a slalom vs board war breaks out. They are different sports, neither is inherently "better". Just because you have a strong preference of one, doesn't mean you should bash the other.

Yes, boarding is easier than slalom for beginners. It also takes less energy and is easier on old knees. At the high end, tho, I gotta say boarder have equal the talent as the slalomers. I get as big a kick watching some carve it up as I do watching boarders jump and flip. Around here, the best boarders are also some of the best skiers.

Senior Chief Petty Officer BigBoatinOkie's Avatar

Well, I can't post any pics that are as impressive as Skibrain's, but here's are some of my wife and I this past weekend. Keep in mind, we just started slaloming this summer, so go easy on us.

The wife

Me

Oh, and my 55 year old mom's very first slalom run. I was just towing her on two skis, then she just kicked of a ski. We had no idea she was even interested in slalom. Guess she's got a few tricks up her sleeve.

1984 Wellcraft 180 Elite XL
    Mercruiser 228 305ci Alpha 1 drive

My resto thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/84-wellcraft-repairs-paint-splashed-369197.html

Senior Chief Petty Officer SeanT's Avatar

Great pics!
    1998 Moomba Outback, Indmar Blackhawk 350ci

Alright! Looks great.
    Are those deep water starts a bit easier with the new ski?

Senior Chief Petty Officer BigBoatinOkie's Avatar

Yeah, I have the deep water starts down with the Big Daddy, but I broke the front binding already. The ski is great, but to be honest, the standard binding is cheap junk, but at least it has a warranty. We had to go back to the ol' combos and dropping a ski for the rest of the weekend. I'm still a little chicken to really lean hard on the turn toward the wake, but I'm definately getting more confident all the time. Hopefully before the end of the season I'll be posting up some nice hard turns. My boat kicks up a pretty big wake, so I'm afraid I'll be eatin water if I try to cross too fast.

1984 Wellcraft 180 Elite XL
    Mercruiser 228 305ci Alpha 1 drive

My resto thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369197

Petty Officer 1st Class

well the pics look cool and for the board v ski thing, couldnt tell you either way. just got my first boat and by next spring i will have it on the water, i am 40 and never skiied or boarded so i will have a clean slate to judge which is better for me, so which ever one floats your boat is the one for you. cant wait to get out there and try though. 40 isnt to old to learn is it?

Petty Officer 2nd Class Adirondack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stic88 View Post
    well the pics look cool and for the board v ski thing, couldnt tell you either way. just got my first boat and by next spring i will have it on the water, i am 40 and never skiied or boarded so i will have a clean slate to judge which is better for me, so which ever one floats your boat is the one for you. cant wait to get out there and try though. 40 isnt to old to learn is it?
    Never too old to learn. Easier on you if you have someone with you that knows at the controles. Drop any aprehension, or fears and you'll be skimming across the water in no time.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. It can only get better from there.

In the world of boating water needs to know it's place.

By nature, people love to divide and label. I agree with the few above... about doing it for you, and no one else. I would go even further to say, you get a lot of respect from me..and I'm sure many others, when you have a few years on you, and you're still challenging yourself with new things. I looked at wakesurfing the first time and thought it didn't interest me at all. It didn't look as fun as wake boarding or skiing. Even though I still think this, I really want to try it. I want to see if I can do it! I don't give a rats if anyone else is into it or they have to drive my boat while I wreck 100 times. It's all about the challenge...that's living. I'd drive for you bro, and I got a wake board that would fit you

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bryant Lake looks like it is still a great place to water ski. Nice pics! I have officially switched to alpine and finally hit the slopes this past weekend. Conditions were great.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasphotoman View Post
    Wakeboarding is not that cool ......mebbe its a fad....
    I don't think wakeboarding is just a fad since it is easier on the body, easier to learn and don't really need the perfect flat water. I have tried it, but will stick to slalom as long as I can. And as I am nearly 49, I am thinking I need a second boat - a tournament ski boat. I won't ski behind anyone's i/o including my own.

Now there is a different trend for snowboarding. It looks like it may have peaked and more people are returning to alpine skiing. There was a comment earlier about the inconsiderate snowboarders.

I see a lot of that as a weekend ski instructor, and totally understand the disdain. I think it is not so much the equipment, but more reflective of the median age of a snowboarder. The stance and sight lines of skier vs. snowboarder are different too, which makes the situation rip for collisions. And that said, I am not shy about providing a "learning opportunity" for a young snowboarder who goes ripping though my class of 8 year olds.

Master Chief Petty Officer Fleetwin's Avatar

I waterski, once a year..... Just to show the young'uns how it's done. I have to say, they are amazed.

Even though I'm in good shape, it WIPES me out. That activity uses muscles that NO gym can duplicate.

I'm 51 and can still ski or wakeboard, but I really prefer my Airchair. It doesn't tire me out like the other things, and it is alot of fun to cut throught the water on a hydrofoil.

Lieutenant Junior Grade AZBoatDreamer's Avatar
    Cold and Snowey Gilbert AZ, Don't move here.

Well its going to be time again soon to be that old 43yr old dude watering sking around the wake boarders.

Looking forward to hitting the salom ski again.
    David THE 5am Boater
    1996 Glastron GS 205 BowRider Purchased 2/12/10
    40th Anniversary Edition V8 5.7 Cobra/Penta Volvo Outdrive.
    Tow Vehicle Ford 2004 F250 4 x 4 V10
    5am is not too early to go boating
    Wife and Kids just don't understand

We got out March 24 this year - beating our previous early season PR by weeks!
    Ice had only been off for 6 days but it was 72 degrees air temp.

Lieutenant Junior Grade AZBoatDreamer's Avatar
    Cold and Snowey Gilbert AZ, Don't move here.

Being in Minnesota you must have a wet or dry suit for being out already. Maybe you just have big Marbles to take the cold water.
    David THE 5am Boater
    1996 Glastron GS 205 BowRider Purchased 2/12/10
    40th Anniversary Edition V8 5.7 Cobra/Penta Volvo Outdrive.
    Tow Vehicle Ford 2004 F250 4 x 4 V10
    5am is not too early to go boating
    Wife and Kids just don't understand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast