Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default First Slalom Ski

Another newbie here, looking for advice!

I'm new to water skiiing, at the tender age of 43. So far, after a few sessions, I'm pretty comfortable on 2 skis & I've decided it's time to take the plunge and try a single ski. Reading the learner ski post at the top of this forum was certainly interesting & I'm anticipating some face plants trying out the deep water starts, but hey, got to start sometime...

Can anyone advise on a good choice for a first ski? I'd like to get something that will last me well into intermediate ability as they're not cheap (here in Australia we pay nearly double the US price). I was thinking maybe the Connelly Outlaw as hopefully the hybrid shape will give me a bit of stability but also reasonable performance. What do you think?

By the way, I thought I'd posted this earlier today, but it seems to have disappeared, so apologies if I'm duplicating.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

Default Re: First Slalom Ski

first learn buy getting up on 2 skis, then then lift up on one ski at a time, get the feel of which leg you want forward, (some people are right footed, some left) when you decide, which is front. use the slalom on the front foot, and a regular on the other, with the boot loose on your foot, now start learning to slalom, by dropping the loose ski. learn to do this, before trying a deep start. you will be much better off. have the spotter in the boat, note where you dropped the ski, for later retrieval.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Thumbs up Re: First Slalom Ski

Try an HO Comp Freeride. It's wider, got a keel for rougher water, but will still carve with the best of them. I don't ride my connelly concept anymore. Whenever I bring my HO out, experienced skiers are always impressed with the range of skiing you can do with it. Check one out.

Seaman Apprentice

Someone once posted about finding your dominant foot,
    Try sliding in socks across a smooth floor and notice which foot naturally leads...

Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by aerospot View Post
    Someone once posted about finding your dominant foot,
    Try sliding in socks across a smooth floor and notice which foot naturally leads...
    Or the others I have heard. Push someone from behind and see which foot comes out first to stabilize them. #2 Have them punt a dodge ball for football. That kicking leg is surely their dominant leg.

Brian

Captain

Kind of an old post to be replying to isn't it?
    1976 Mark Twain 200VBR w/Mercruiser 233 (Ford 351w) "Heart & Soul"