Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thread: 4.3GL No Start

Petty Officer 1st Class

Default 4.3GL No Start

Well, I went up north and picked up the boat today and when I got it on the driveway, I figured I'd try to start her up.On the way home, I filled up the fuel tank. So, I turned the key to the on position, went and got the muffs and hose and hooked them up (figured I'd give the fuel pump a chance to fill the new fuel filter). I hopped back in and turned the key to 'start', it didn't want to crank but finally started turning over but wouldn't even try to fire up, it just cranked and cranked. I let it sit for a while figuring that since I fogged it in the fall, the fogging goo had fouled the plugs. Next step, I checked the carb to see if it squirts fuel when advancing to full throttle, 2 nice healthy squirts. Next, I started pulling the plugs one by one (they are the original AC Delcos), each was soaked with fuel, I dried them off and reinstalled them. I then checked the distributor cap, all the contacts were quite corroded so I scraped and cleaned them a bit. Tried to fire it up again and same thing, turns over and over but doesn't fire. What do the guru's out there think my next step should be?? Keep in mind the boat ran like a top in the fall not that it means a lot.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Default Re: 4.3GL No Start

Do you have spark?
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's next I figure. It's been a while since I've had to diagnose a no start carbed engine (like 25+years).

Quote Originally Posted by bnicov View Post
    That's next I figure. It's been a while since I've had to diagnose a no start carbed engine (like 25+years).
    Ayuh,... Start with checkin' for Power at the (+) on the coil...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bond-O!!! I'm heading out to the driveway in a few minutes to start some checks. If I have power at the coil, what's next?? Crank and check for spark? Like I said, it's been a while and I don't want to screw anything up. I have my circuit tester in hand and a cool drink (it's going to be pushing 75 or so today here in Oakville, YAY!!! Hopefully it's an easy fix but you never know.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

You check for spark by taking the coil wire out of the center of the distributor cap and holding the wire end about 1/2" from a good clean ground (UN-painted) and having someone crank the engine over. You should get a bright blue spark.
    If no spark, you will find troubleshooting information in section five of the manual linked below http://www.4shared.com/office/Vkjsr0...Fuel_sys.html?
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked the coil and had power to it. I figured since the flood should have cleared I tried to fire it up, it coughed a couple of times and I tried again, and EUREKA!! IT'S ALIVE!! She fired up, ran rough for a few seconds and settled into a nice high idle around 12-1300rpm. I let her run for a few minutes and she seems to be fine. Now for my next issue that I want to deal with............
    Thanks for the replies Don and Bond-O, you guys are great and I hope most people that visit this board realize that.