Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman

Default Towing With 1996 Nissan Pathfinder

I am presently towing my 1995 Maxum SC200 with my 1996 Nissan Pathfinder. It is rated to tow 5000lbs and I figure that my boat with trailer, fuel and gear is 4000lbs. I was wondering if anyone knows what the 5000lbs capacity is based on and if there are any simple upgrades I can do to my vehicle to help improve towing my boat. It pulls it, however, I would like to make it easier on my Pathfinder. One of the things I am presently going to do is install a seperate tranny cooler that is rated up to 18000lbs ( I realize this is only if the vehicle has the power to do it)to help the tranny. Any other ideas would be great. Anyone else towing with a 3.3L Pathfinder Thanks

Default Re: Towing With 1996 Nissan Pathfinder

The tow rating is probably mostly about the trans. Also, the suspension package and durabilty of the engine. The trans cooler is probably the cheapest insurance you can buy.I bet this truck pulls it real well if you stand on the throttle. I wouldn't be bashful, hammer it when you have to.

The tow rating is probably mostly about the trans. Also, the suspension package and durabilty of the engine.
    #1 is the Suspension Package............#2 is Brakes........Sounds to Me like You're living on the Ragged Edge.........
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Yes. What Bondo said.I don't like towing at 80% of rated capacity.I would look into upgrading the suspension and the brakes.Good luck.

My comments were based on a couple of things:1) I towed with a '93 Isuzu Trooper rated at 5000 lbs, Japanese aluminum V6. It was really good if I kept the engine wound up. Pretty stable too as far as suspension etc. My load was probably a little less than 4000, but not much. We do 500 mile round trip runs with ambients above 100F very often.2) The Nissan V6s are really special. They keep winning awards etc. for all of the iterations. Pretty bullettproof.3) The torque converter works really hard when pulling that load.4) Manufacturers are conservative. They have to be or they get killed in court.5) I am assuming the trailer has brakes and they are adjusted.Bondo and JBs comments are definitely valid, I just think it will do the job as long as the haul isn't terribly long and your not an idiot.

Seaman

QuietcatThanks for your input. Yes I do have a new King trailer with surge disc brakes. Trust me I don't plan on towing it more than an hour or two each way and I'm really going to strive not to be an idiot. P.S I love your signature!

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tow my 18 with a 99.5 with the same motor and she pulls fine. Like others stated I would check their suggestions.
    '05 Sea Ray Sundeck 200
    4.3 MPI Alpha

Seaman

Thanks for the advice guys. I just felt it was going to be too hard on the Pathfinder so today I made the big plunge:New Dodge Durango with the 5.7 Hemi and tow package. No worries now, bring on the mountains,however, still waiting for some hot babes to pull up beside me at a light and ask me if I have a Hemi.