Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Petty Officer 3rd Class
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Decatur, Illinois
    Posts
    87

    Question Texas trailer registration question??

    I have a boat trailer, under #4000 and need to get it in my name. I am having problems locating the original owner. I know it does not have a title but how do i get the registration changed over to me? I could do it as a homemade jobby but would rather retain the original serial to keep everything legit. How would a guy get a trailer registered in texas, if you can't find the original owner??

  2. #2
    Rear Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Pay someone to track the owner down and then jump through several hoops fabricating bills of sale, etc., etc., so you can pay all that state sales tax, OR just walk into your county tax office and register it as a homemade...much simpler and cheaper, they don't give a whit about the serial numbers...you'll only receive a registration receipt, license plate and sticker for the plate. Your insurance company is the only one who will care about serial numbers, if you decide to insure your rig.

  3. #3
    Petty Officer 3rd Class
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Decatur, Illinois
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    I thought that to go that route i had to run it up a scale to get a weigh ticket, then get it inspected and show a bill of materials, etc.

  4. #4
    Rear Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Depends on your county rules/regs. Check and see, call to see what you need to register a homemade boat trailer

  5. #5

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    i recently bought a boat w/ trailer. the guy who had it never put the trailer in his name or registered the trailer. he owned another trailer and just used the plates off that one. whats the easiest way to get this trailer registered in my name? keeping it legal.

  6. #6
    Rear Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    If you're in Tejas, look for a serial number on the trailer...they're usually on the frame somewhere near the axle. Have your county tax assessor/collector run the number to see if it has been registered before in your county. If not and no record exists, it's easiest to register it as home-made. If record exists, find out who registered it last...hopefully you can find them and work forward. Either way, you will need a bill of sale listing the trailer sale price...in Tejas, the county tax office's primary duty is to collect sales tax then road/bridge fees in the form of a registration certificate.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    I am in same situation - boat IKE damaged boat - got it registered - but the trailer have no way of finding original owner - The TAX office won't give out personal information - anyone know what to do in harris county TX - can it be modded up and registered as homebuilt?

    Thanks,
    ANdy

  8. #8

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    if you go to the courthouse you can get an info request form and it has reasons for the the request on the back - they have to ok it - mine was ok'd so for $2 they gave me a printout of the most recent owner's registration info - from which I found him and will have the paperwork signed... whew!

    it can be done with a little persistance - seems some dealers never pay the taxes so they leave trade in trailers in the old owners name even when resold - so a lot of folks have to track down the old owners...


    Andy

  9. #9
    Cadet kevco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kermit, Tx
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    In the county I live in it was very easy to title as homemade. Just wanted to know to approximate weight of trailer and the capacity (no weight ticket needed, just took my word). They didn't even want to see the trailer. You do have to sign an affidavit that there are no serial #'s on the trailer and that you own it.

  10. #10
    Rear Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Yup, call the county tax office and ask what you need to have (paperwork) to register a homemade trailer...probably nothing except bill of sale and gross weight. They just want more tax $$ on the books to pay for roads, etc. and the Guv's cadillac.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    I also bought a boat with a trailer with no tags. I got the name and address from the tax office, of the previous owner of the trailer and sent a certified returned letter and got it back unopened. The owner moved. The trailer is rated at 4100lbs so it must be titled in Texas for me to get it registered. I also had it inspected at the sheriff's office and got a report stating it is not listed stolen and in operable condition. I now have to send the letter unopened, Application for Assigned or Reassigned Number and Application for Texas Certificate of Title to Austin: DMV 1001 East Parmer Ln, Suite A, Austin, Texas 78753. I think at that time, they will issue a Bondable Title at which point I need to find an insurance company that will bond the trailer or something like that. Does anyone know the process better? I will go back to the Tax office again and ask one more time. What a headache.

  12. #12
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Guys, I justwent through this same thing last month in Texas. The PO didn't give me a bill of sale for the trailer however he did leave the tag on. All I did was go to the Tag agency, tell the lady what happened. I gave her the tag number and she asked me what the address was and who's name it was. Then I showed her the bill of sale for the boat. She promplty put the boat in my name, charged me a few $$ and I was on my way with the trailer in my name.

    If you're not lucky enough to have the old tag number, you'll have no choice but to register it as a 2011 homebuilt trailer. You won't need any reciepts for your supplies or anything......

    I've gone both the homebuilt route and the Lost prior Owner route and I'm all good to go now. let me know if you need more help.

  13. #13
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Quote Originally Posted by mars32656 View Post
    I also bought a boat with a trailer with no tags. I got the name and address from the tax office, of the previous owner of the trailer and sent a certified returned letter and got it back unopened. The owner moved. The trailer is rated at 4100lbs so it must be titled in Texas for me to get it registered. I also had it inspected at the sheriff's office and got a report stating it is not listed stolen and in operable condition. I now have to send the letter unopened, Application for Assigned or Reassigned Number and Application for Texas Certificate of Title to Austin: DMV 1001 East Parmer Ln, Suite A, Austin, Texas 78753. I think at that time, they will issue a Bondable Title at which point I need to find an insurance company that will bond the trailer or something like that. Does anyone know the process better? I will go back to the Tax office again and ask one more time. What a headache.
    Trailers are not titled in Texas....just registered.

  14. #14
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Richardson, TX
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    The guy I bought mine from didn't ever register it because he kept it on his lake property and never drove on public roads. All the original labels with serial numbers, capacity, etc. have been painted over a couple of times so I had to guess at capacity, and actual weight.

    When I went to register in Collin County they only asked how much it weighed (took estimated weight at my word), approximate capacity (again took me at my best guess) and whether it was homemade or shop built. I told her shop built but modified and she just took my check and gave me tags. I don't know if I just got lucky or if that is normal. Hope you get the same clerk.
    He who laughs last,
    Didn't get it.
    (But won't admit it)

  15. #15
    Chief Petty Officer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    The shop built is the easiest route. In Montgomery County and serveral counties in East Texas a shopbuilt trailer has to be inspected by the sheriffs department. If it is not truly shopbuilt they will not OK it. I went to the trailer manufacture and they gave me spec's. With my boat bill of sale and the weight spec's Montgomery County registered me. All the wanted was the correct weight.

  16. #16
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Quote Originally Posted by Av8nBill View Post
    The guy I bought mine from didn't ever register it because he kept it on his lake property and never drove on public roads. All the original labels with serial numbers, capacity, etc. have been painted over a couple of times so I had to guess at capacity, and actual weight.

    When I went to register in Collin County they only asked how much it weighed (took estimated weight at my word), approximate capacity (again took me at my best guess) and whether it was homemade or shop built. I told her shop built but modified and she just took my check and gave me tags. I don't know if I just got lucky or if that is normal. Hope you get the same clerk.
    Hey Bill...I registered my trailer at the DMV office off of K ave and Park ave in Plano. Is that where you did yours?

    You should come out and hang with us on Lake Lavon sometime. We're having a big get together at Collin Park marina on May 1st.

    http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/...?topic=11931.0

  17. #17
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Richardson, TX
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Quote Originally Posted by '78 Crusader View Post
    Hey Bill...I registered my trailer at the DMV office off of K ave and Park ave in Plano. Is that where you did yours?

    You should come out and hang with us on Lake Lavon sometime. We're having a big get together at Collin Park marina on May 1st.

    http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/...?topic=11931.0
    Yep, that's the one. They were really nice.

    I'd love to, but work weekends right now. We hit Lavon during the week when we get a chance. Hopefully will be out next Wednesday or Thursday if I finish putting the tinny back together by then.
    He who laughs last,
    Didn't get it.
    (But won't admit it)

  18. #18
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    All right Bill....hope to see you on Lavon someday soon! I'm the only guy out there in a 13' Boston Whaler so keep an eye out for me.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    I bought a boat trailer from a online auction in Texas. I live in Florida. Its around 2000lbs and my state wont issue a title or registration unless I can provide a bill of sale. I lost the paperwork during a move when the Ex GF and I split up. Does anyone have any suggestions? The auction sent the only copy with the trailer. So am I screwed?

  20. #20
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Hmmmm....sounds like you may have to register it in Texas and then transfer it over to Florida. Let me look around but some states will issue a trailer title and registration over the mail.

  21. #21
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Try this out if Texas won't register your trailer.

    Www.GetNewTitle.com

  22. #22

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Quote Originally Posted by '78 Crusader View Post
    Hmmmm....sounds like you may have to register it in Texas and then transfer it over to Florida. Let me look around but some states will issue a trailer title and registration over the mail.


    How could I register it without coming to Texas?

  23. #23
    Chief Petty Officer '78 Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    407

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Quote Originally Posted by chadharper View Post
    How could I register it without coming to Texas?

    Oh....I must have overlooked the "Online" purchase of your trailer...my bad. Your statement, in conjunction with a reference that you made a "move", made me assume that you moved from Texas to Florida.

    Where's the trailer now? Is it with you in Florida? How did you get it to Florida in the first place if you bought it in Texas?

    Either use the website I gave you above or talk nicely to your ex and search for the paperwork. Have you gone to the Florida DMV and tell them your predicament?

  24. #24

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Quote Originally Posted by '78 Crusader View Post
    Oh....I must have overlooked the "Online" purchase of your trailer...my bad. Your statement, in conjunction with a reference that you made a "move", made me assume that you moved from Texas to Florida.

    Where's the trailer now? Is it with you in Florida? How did you get it to Florida in the first place if you bought it in Texas?

    Either use the website I gave you above or talk nicely to your ex and search for the paperwork. Have you gone to the Florida DMV and tell them your predicament?
    Never lived in Texas. We bought it at an online auction. I used a transporting company to bring it to Florida. The ex says its not there. I could try to talk to the DMV but I'm sure im going to need proof I bought it.

    Since Texas doesnt title trailers under a certain weight could I get someone(anyone) who resides in Texas to write me a Bill of Sale on the trailer?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Texas trailer registration question??

    Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trailer Registration Question
    By teneyckd2002 in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
  2. Trailer Registration
    By dsiedt in forum Trailers and Towing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM
  3. trailer registration
    By handball in forum Trailers and Towing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 11th, 2005, 08:51 AM
  4. Boat Registration (Texas)
    By Bass Runner in forum Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
  5. trailer registration
    By erp sr. in forum Trailers and Towing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 26th, 2003, 05:22 PM
  1. iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic