Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Default Staples for pressure treated wood?

Hi all,

Need to redo my bunks, went to buy some staples.

The stainless steel package states not for marine use and the monel staples say do not use on presure treated wood. Is the presure trested wood they sell now adays different from the chenicals used of old? I seem to remember the reading presure treated wood will corode any metal or at least the old wood would.

Seaman

Default Re: Staples for pressure treated wood?

Ha...same thing I am dealing with. I bought some #2 treated wood yesterday and my staples were not big enough. They were T50's which are i think 3/8th inch. I need longer staples. That is a good question though..what kind to use...steele or not?

Lieutenant Commander

generally 304 or 316 type ss staples or hot dip galvanized nails are recommended.

I prefer the old fashioned big flat head hot dipped roofing nails.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Copper roofing nails used to fasten flashing last for years!

Supreme Mariner

Yeah copper as I understand it does not react to the modern PT treatments
    I wonder if some sort of plastic fastener would be practical.Or maybe a really good glue.With glue the PT would have to be well dried.
    There are some new alternative PT treatments that are more friendly.

Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by steelespike View Post
    Yeah copper as I understand it does not react to the modern PT treatments
    I wonder if some sort of plastic fastener would be practical.Or maybe a really good glue.With glue the PT would have to be well dried.
    There are some new alternative PT treatments that are more friendly.
    The "toxic" PT went out of consumer use in 2003. The more people friendly PT is now sold at Lowes and Home Depot, etc.
    You can still find the good stuff elsewhere for marine use and industrial uses, etc.

Copper from what I know.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Come on. Because the box says "not for marine use" you aren't going to use it for carpeting bunks?? Last I checked a trailer doesn't float. Are you going to leave your trailer subnerged in the water all the time? Just use the stainless and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgregory01 View Post
    Ha...same thing I am dealing with. I bought some #2 treated wood yesterday and my staples were not big enough. They were T50's which are i think 3/8th inch. I need longer staples. That is a good question though..what kind to use...steele or not?
    T50 staples come in different lengths.
    "A manual is a cheap investment"
    Fair Winds and Following Seas
    Bill
    PTC USN ret

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Come on. Because the box says "not for marine use" you aren't going to use it for carpeting bunks?? Last I checked a trailer doesn't float. Are you going to leave your trailer subnerged in the water all the time? Just use the stainless and be done with it.

This is salt water after all, even the trailer corodes never mind a thin piece of metal like a staple will get eaten up right quick if not done right. The wood in the bunks stays wet for days im sure and there has been times I have come back after 8-10 of fishing and the carpet is still damp.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all I will use the T50, stainless steel, and a good outdoor carpet glue. I have 4 10ft bunks and want to use a electric stapler its way to much for a hand powered stapler and to much for me to use nails I think.

Today's most common treating process is ACQ which replaced the CCA process. ACQ is very corrosive to carbon steel and aluminum. Copper should work fine as it is one of the primary elements of ACQ. Listing fasteners you can use from best to worse are stainless, ceramic coated, hot dipped galvanized, electro-galvanized. A bright common nail will only last a few months before corroding away. Also be aware of things like zinc plated hinges or joist hangers in contact with treated wood as they will deteriorate in no time.
    T-50 staples are available form 1/4" to 9/16" but have only seen stainless and monel in 3/8' and 1/2". I feel either will last as long as the carpet you use. Hey if not, just staple it again.

Quote Originally Posted by henrye718 View Post
    This is salt water after all, even the trailer corodes never mind a thin piece of metal like a staple will get eaten up right quick if not done right. The wood in the bunks stays wet for days im sure and there has been times I have come back after 8-10 of fishing and the carpet is still damp.
    So, like I said, put the stainless in and be done because stainless will be the best in that situation anyway. If the carpet starts to come loose it isn't all going to come off at once. put some more in when you see a loose spot.

I have redone bunks numerous times on different trailers but per trailer, only had to do it once. I don't use carpet because wet wood is slicker and without carpet the bunks dry out much faster and reduce the opportunity for rot.

Since wet wood is slicker than the fiberous carpet, the opportunity to scratch your hull as the boat moves over the bunks is highly reduced.

So, if you forgo the carpet, you saved those bucks and don't have to worry about what type of fasteners to use.

And if you don't like the looks of bare treated pine, get yourself a can of black spray paint, with some of that money you saved (grin).

Mark

Lieutenant Commander

or use cypress wood and you do not have to worry about what that ACQ treated wood will eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasmark View Post
    And if you don't like the looks of bare treated pine, get yourself a can of black spray paint, with some of that money you saved (grin).
    Yeah I'll get right on putting my freshly painted white boat on some black painted 2x4s.....
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/18-starcraft-supersport-restoration-357767.html
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/ezmobees-1966-jupiter-338633.html sold

Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Texasmark View Post
    I don't use carpet because wet wood is slicker and without carpet the bunks dry out much faster and reduce the opportunity for rot.

Since wet wood is slicker than the fiberous carpet, the opportunity to scratch your hull as the boat moves over the bunks is highly reduced.

So, if you forgo the carpet, you saved those bucks and don't have to worry about what type of fasteners to use.

Mark
    So does your boat float off the bunks before it slides back at all? If it slides a little bit before it floats 100%, those dry boards are scrapping the hull when you launch.
    But everyone has limits of what they will tolerate and I have seen many naked bunks.
    The boats usually look neglected all over. But that is cool too cause fancy paint and chrome will not help anything run better or be more reliable.
    Well maybe shinny paint on the boat below the waterline will help it go thru the water easier if your going 100mph, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ezmobee View Post
    Yeah I'll get right on putting my freshly painted white boat on some black painted 2x4s.....
    Ok, suit yourself, paint them white or pink or purple or what suits your fancy. Your stuff, makes absolutely no difference to me.

Cadet

I've redone my bunks a couple of times and used the 1/2" stainless staples and they last even using it in the salt water

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Monel staples in mhy T-50 stapler quite successfully on PT bunks to hold carpet in place. Also used them on my homebrew guide boards. The carpet is beginning to wear thru, but the staples are holding true.
    Carl
    Carolina Skiff 175 Sea Chaser, 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke
    River City Marine 14' AL flat-bottom, 40hp Force 2-stroke