Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cadet

Default Split Rim Wheels – How can I replace tires?

Been working on my 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18 and I’ve got some down time waiting for parts. In the mean time I’m working on the boat trailer. The trailer is in good shape except for the tires. The tires are dry rotted and I also find that the wheels are split rims. When I tried to remove the tires, the tires would not break off the rim bead, so, after unbolting and separating the aluminum wheel I took a utility knife and cut loose half the wheel and tire (see photos). It appears the tires were adhered to the rim and there are no rim beads. What to do? How do you get the tires off? Where can a person get new tires? What’s the procedure for mounting the new tire? Alternatively, is there an adapter that I could use to mount current day wheels on to the 4 bolt vintage axle? Measurements: From outside lug bolt to outside lug bolt the measurement is 4 ¼”. The diameter of the hub is 2 ½”. The size of the tire is 5.70/5.00 x 8.00 Any thoughts?

Cadet

Default Split Rim Wheels (1958) – How can I replace tires?

I placed this post in the non-engine section of the forum, but, you guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge. Anyone have any experience with the following? Been working on my 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18 and I’ve got some down time waiting for parts. In the mean time I’m working on the boat trailer (same vintage). The trailer is in good shape except for the tires. The tires are dry rotted and I also find that the wheels are split rims. When I tried to remove the tires, the tires would not break off the rim bead, so, after unbolting and separating the aluminum wheel I took a utility knife and cut loose half the wheel and tire (see photos). It appears the tires were adhered to the rim and there are no rim beads. What to do? How do you get the tires off? Where can a person get new tires? What’s the procedure for mounting the new tire? Alternatively, is there an adapter that I could use to mount current day wheels on to the 4 bolt vintage axle? From outside lug bolt to outside lug bolt the measurement is 4 ¼”. The diameter of the hub is 2 ½”. The size of the tire is 5.70/5.00 x 8.00 Any thoughts?

Senior Chief Petty Officer guy74's Avatar

Default Re: Split Rim Wheels – How can I replace tires?

That is a strange size bolt pattern your wheels have. I had a utility trailer with wheels like that, my guess is that the tire beads are just stuck to the wheel halves. If the wheel halves are not rusted out then you can probably put new tires on those wheels, you just have to get the old beads loose from the wheels and use tubes in the tires. Otherwise, if your trailer has common spindles, you can replace the hubs with common 4 hole on 4" pattern hubs. Then you can use tires and wheels that are commonly available. At the worst you could replace the whole axle assembly.
    1973 Glastron V 156
    1988 60hp Johnson

You really should post this in the trailer and towing section.
    1973 Glastron V 156
    1988 60hp Johnson

Cadet

Default Split Rim Wheels (1958) – How can I replace tires?

Been working on my 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18 and I’ve got some down time waiting for parts. In the mean time I’m working on the boat trailer. The trailer is in good shape except for the tires. The tires are dry rotted and I also find that the wheels are split rims. When I tried to remove the tires, the tires would not break off the rim bead, so, after unbolting and separating the aluminum wheel I took a utility knife and cut loose half the wheel and tire (see photos). It appears the tires were adhered to the rim and there are no rim beads. What to do? How do you get the tires off? Where can a person get new tires? What’s the procedure for mounting the new tire? Alternatively, is there an adapter that I could use to mount current day wheels on to the 4 bolt vintage axle? From outside lug bolt to outside lug bolt the measurement is 4 ¼”. The diameter of the hub is 2 ½”. The size of the tire is 5.70/5.00 x 8.00 Any thoughts?

Petty Officer 1st Class Mike722's Avatar

I am assuming that there was a tube as well? I have seen old tire that appear welded to the rim. I have had to take them to the tire shop to have them break the bead down.

If they were not to bad, you could have used a short sledge hammer. Looks like the rims have some kind of corrsion on them that would need cleaned off before a new tube is installed.

Unless you have to have the orginal rims, I would look for a new set of rims and tires that will fit your fender wells and axle.

Supreme Mariner

You might want to consider just replacing the tires and wheels as units because it is cheaper than you think. Try kmtparts. com for example.

Cadet

You're probably correct. However, I'm doing my best to keep this thing as close to original as possible. There must be someone out there who has walked the same path.....

Cadet

Yes, there is a tube. There is virtually no bead. Where the bead is suppose to be it is flat and the tire is glued to the rim. I tried all sorts of ways to break the tire off the bead. No luck. I have not cleaned the corrosion off. that will happen if I'm able to use these rims again.

Supreme Mariner

Take a carpenter's ripping (crowbar) bar and jam the end between the tire and flange and hammer away. Or take it to a tire store and they can probably shove it off with their bead breaker....maybe.

A place that sells go-kart wheels may have some split rims.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be wrong, but last I knew tire shops could NOT mount tires to split rims anymore. Many years ago I worked in a truck tire shop and we couldn't touch anything with split rims.
    just my $.02

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class Mike722's Avatar

You could try to cut the tire along the diameter and strip it off. You would need to be carefull not to damage the rim. I would only do it as a last resort.

I had my tractor done last year. You might be thinking about the ones that have a bead ring that comes off one side only. Some tire shop will not work with them.

DJ

Default Re: Split Rim Wheels (1958) – How can I replace tires?

Buy new rims and tires. You'll ruin the tires trying to seperate them. Tire/rim assemblies are just a few dollars more than just tires.

That is a common size bolt hole pattern.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by Mike722 View Post
    I had my tractor done last year. You might be thinking about the ones that have a bead ring that comes off one side only. Some tire shop will not work with them.
    That was the rim I was referring, split rims that used to be used on class 8 trucks. Thanks for clearing that up for me...

wncrjb

On a four-bolt rim, the bolt pattern is measured from the center of each bolt hole and that dimension is 4 inches. You need whats called a standard four on four (four bolt holes on 4 inch spacing). They are cheap and you can get them right here on iBoats, WalMart, or any other store including most farm stores, that sell trailer parts. You can buy the tires and rims separately or already mounted. Although mounting an 8-inch tire is no big deal, if you've not done it before and have no idea of the process, save yourself the headache and buy the tires mounted. If the rims are ok, the place you buy replacement tires can mount them for you.

Captain

I cannot believe you'll have difficulty finding the tires to fit those wheels. A Google search for "Trailer tyres" quickly found them in the UK. Third one down, TYR104, on this page "http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/8__Tyres.html"

8" rims have always been the size for small trailers although more usually 400/480 than 500/570

I cant say about finding different wheel rims to fit. I make the PCD (pitch circle diameter) of the studs 3¾" Ours are usually 4", with 3/8" studs, (You should measure centre to center not outside edge to outside edge)

Try a search on your side of the pond for "trailer tires"

I reckon the rubber is so well "welded" to the rims its just going tobe hard work cleaning it off.

You'll need tubes in the new tires won't you?

YEP Choice of 4ply or 6ply (a lot cheaper than UK prices too) here: "http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=16 3"

I'd just toss the wheels. Split rims like the kind mentioned above have killed more than a few poor folks when they've let go under pressure -- usually while being mounted or topped upwith air. Split truck wheels letting go will take your head off or cut you in half. A smaller wheel like that may just take half your head or maybe an arm. I know it may be a different type, but anything that designed to come apart, may do so suddenly if bolts, etc fail.

wncrjb is right -- there are probably few shops that will touch that kind of setup. If you can't get an adapter for the hub, maybe you can swap out the entire axle, spring assembly for something that will fit.
    Give me a picture and a thousand words!

2004 Scout Dorado 175 Dual Console
    Yamaha 90 4-Stroke

They sell those and many other rims at Northern Tool.If they have those stores in your area.If not look at their website.
    Also Tractor Supply sells a lot of that type tire and rims.
    If it were mine i would buy new rims and tires and be done with it.
    Its kind of like the old split rims they used to run on tractor trailer rigs years ago.Outdated and an accident waiting to happen..

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Chief Petty Officer

This should be under trailering. replace the hubs and get new wheels as well as the tires. It will be money well spent, especially if you ned road service and can't get it due to the dated design of your wheels.

I have seperated tire beads from rims by jacking up a car with a floor jack and lowering it's tire onto the sidewall of the tire I am trying to seperate from the rim.

That being said, I would ditch the split rims. There is a good reason they don't use those anymore.
    1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
    Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
    Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
    "Common sense is not very common"
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Buy new rims and tires. You'll ruin the tires trying to seperate them. Tire/rim assemblies are just a few dollars more than just tires.

That is a common size bolt hole pattern.
    I don't think, by looking at your pictures and by your description that those are the common 4 on 4inch pattern wheels. On the utility trailer that I had with that kind of wheel on it, the bolt pattern was 4 on 3 3/4inch. Your description of 4 1/4 inches from outside to outside, and the holes look to be 1/2 inch dia. would make yours 4 on 3 3/4 inch also. I redrilled my hubs to use 4 on 4inch wheels. I hope I'm wrong on guessing that those are nonstandard hubs, but they sure don't look to be standard.
    1973 Glastron V 156
    1988 60hp Johnson

Cadet

Vic.S and Guy74, you two are correct. These are not standard hubs. They are 3 3/4" studs on center. I had bought new current day tires and wheels, but would have to woble out the holes to make them fit. Didn't really want to do that. I thought maybe someone had actually had this problem themselves and found a more "stock" solution. There had to of been a lot of these trailers produced back in the 50's. Thanks to all of you for your input!!

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

out dated, antiquated, out of production. you may have to completely change axle, and hubs to new system. probably cheaper in the long run, cause next time you will have the same problem.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Lieutenant Commander

The wheels you describe are like these where the two wheel halves are bolted together in between the stud holes. (1st pic)

Those are not the man killer split ring type found on older semi trucks and farm tractors.your wheel bolt pattern is to be measure from center of one stud to center of second stud from first stud. Not the two closest studs. (2nd pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb58 View Post
    I have seperated tire beads from rims by jacking up a car with a floor jack and lowering it's tire onto the sidewall of the tire I am trying to seperate from the rim.
    I would do as Bruce described, sort of.............

Get a hunk of 2x10 wood.
    nail some other 2x2 pieces to the 2x10 in a circle little bit bigger than the outer diameter of the rim.
    Place rim on ground under car.
    Place 2x10 on rim so that when using a bottle jack or even a floor jack inbetween the 2x10 and the car, it will push the tire off the bead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast