Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default mirror to back up to tongue

Is there a special mirror for SUV to see ball when backing up?Tx for help its appreciated ken

Lieutenant Junior Grade jlinder's Avatar

Default Re: mirror to back up to tongue

Haven't tried this yet, but had idea of getting a magnetic base and attaching a stick to it. One to put on top of the receiver hear the ball and the other next to the hitch on the trailer.The idea is that when the hitch is over the ball the tops of the sticks would just barely touch, and they would be visible through the rear window.Just a thought.

Master Chief Petty Officer

Both of your ideas are available commercially.Not sure what they are called, but I've seen them.They seem to use telescoping antenna type rods for easy storage.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cabelas sells a mirror that mounts on top of the tailgate of a pickup that lets you see the ball and hitch.

Hitch Finder (find it on eBay) works great and costs only a few bux.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dido on Hitch Finder. I bought one for my dad as a Christmas gift and then ended up buying one for myself earlier this summer.Kevin

Originally posted by Jack L: Haven't tried this yet, but had idea of getting a magnetic base and attaching a stick to it. One to put on top of the receiver hear the ball and the other next to the hitch on the trailer.Just a thought.
    Thats exactly what I have been doing for years. Old CB antenna base on top on the ball, and I drilled and tapped the very front lip of the hitch 1/4-20 and screw in a 3 foot threaded rod

Seaman Apprentice

here is where you find the Hitch Finder on line http://www.hitchfinder.net/buy.htm I think a mirror would be better

Seaman

I saw one (was it is the Boating magazine or a West Marine catalog?) which had a mirror that hung on a tailgate or the window of an SUC, and allowed the driver to look right doen on top of the hitch.

Cadet

I use a 5x8 inch mirror, like a p/u truck side mirror replacement. I fashoned a strap to it and slide over my wench stand. I drive a GMC Surburbanwith the barn doors and it works well. Makes hooking up by yourself a breeze.Capt.Skid

Chief Petty Officer

My ball is lower than the bumper so I could not see it when hooking up the trailer. Always had to call someone to guide me and it was always a problem even with a guide. So I cut the bottom of a 12 oz soda and put it center on the ball. With my rear door open I could see the neck of the soda bottle and I use this as a guide to center the ball to the tongue. Always back up straight and you will get it under the center of the tongue within 2 attempts with practice. Better than any mirror! Couldn't hook up without it and I always carry a spare soda in the truck in case I get thirsty too. Always grease up the ball before actually hooking up. My last ball was all scratched up and rusted. Now it's always smooth and shiny since I put grease.

Originally posted by milkyway: So I cut the bottom of a 12 oz soda and put it center on the ball. With my rear door open I could see the neck of the soda bottle and I use this as a guide to center the ball to the tongue.
    Excellent idea! but in the south that would be a "Coke" bottle, no matter if it's a Dr. Pepper, Sprite or Big Red coke!thanks,jw
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean