Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chief Petty Officer

Default Lubricating Leaf Springs

I notice that my leaf springs are beginning to squeal and make cracking/popping noises whenever I go really slow over uneven surfaces like a curb or rock. Since they don't have zerk fittings, how do you lubricate them? What about the equalizers for double axle trailers, like mines.

Master Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Lubricating Leaf Springs

these have bushings in them around the bolts that go though if u are starting to creak i bet they are bad .. they are none grease able

Lieutenant Commander triumphrick's Avatar

I boat in salt water and have been told by my trailer guru to spread out some newspaper or cardboard under the springs, open up a can of motor oil and just drench them. I've used an old shop towel to help work the oil in.I have done this to every trailer I have owned since the 80's and have yet to replace springs due to rust. I notice it also keeps them quiet as well.

Just let it sit overnight to catch the spillage.
    Captain OUPV

The squeaking is usually the leaves rubbing together. Lubricating them usually quietens them down but keeping the lube on them is the tough part. Give them a good spray with a light oil and see if they go quiet for a short period of time. Then if you choose to give them a soaking as said above. The only drawback to that is that the oil picks up every bit of dust and grit that lands on them and could be trouble in itself.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

We have road salt here in MinneSnowta. A fleet owner I know sprays a can of wd40 on each set of leaf springs once a year in the fall. he never has spring trouble.

In addition to noise, rusty springs are likely to corrosion-stress crack, and totally fail.

hope it helps
    John

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, guys...I'll give the WD-40 a shot and see if that helps. I doubt the bushings are bad because its only a year old trailer but I'll inspect them anyways.

In the old day's you could take one big a@@ screw driver...........insert it in the end of the spring........pull it down about a 1' or so......take a putty knife and spread some axle grease in the gap...and that should quite it down quite nicely..

Caution do not break a spring opening them up for grease.....A 1/2 gap goes quite a ways back..
    Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you move the wall"

WD 40?
    I have been using WD 40 for ant problems,. ants all over the house,.
    what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.

Chief Petty Officer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    WD 40?
    what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.
    LMAO...Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Hashi View Post
    LMAO...Good one!
    WD-40 works great for everything except for ETHANOL.

WD-40 works for a short period of time in my opinion. It dissipates quickly and you are back to the squeeks again in a short time.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Petty Officer 2nd Class srothfuss's Avatar

I knew a older fellow that would wrap the spring in duct tape, pour oil into the gaps and then let the oil soak for a week. Unwrap the spring and clean up the mess. Of course that was on cars and not trailers.
    1972 Chrysler Mutineer (remaining projects)
    Fair Rudder & CenterBoard
    Convert to WireLuff Jib
    Finish Painting
    Install additional Floatation (pool noodles)
    1972 Chrysler C-500 Trailer
    reconditioned

Seaman Apprentice

I ve got the same problem think I m gonna use a little spray grease instead

Petty Officer 2nd Class shorts&chanclas's Avatar

Try that silicone spray lubricant for garage doors.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Tail_Gunner View Post
    In the old day's you could take one big a@@ screw driver...........insert it in the end of the spring........pull it down about a 1' or so......take a putty knife and spread some axle grease in the gap...and that should quite it down quite nicely..

Caution do not break a spring opening them up for grease.....A 1/2 gap goes quite a ways back..

If you will try that and post back the result's this thread will end...Boom Done
    Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you move the wall"

Captain

If you are really concerned about rusty springs, to keep them rust free, try motorcycle chain lube for non-O Ring chain. It goes on liquid and congeals into a grease. It penetrates into the leaves. Chances are what you are hearing is the open end of a slipper spring grinding on the frame, jack the trailer up letting the axle hang and slather some water proof grease on the top of the spring where it meets the frame.
    If you travel a lot on dirt roads however, any grease will attract and hold dirt and sand which can also be abrasive so the occasional cleaning and re-greasing would be in order as well.
    Got any pics of your spring set up?

A squeak is usually caused by metal to metal rubbing, look at sides of the spring eyes, the top of the slipper end, and dry spring eye bushings or bolts that have seized to the spring eye and are rotating in the frame.

Seaman Apprentice

I am thinking easy way is WD 40 also

When I was a kid working in a gas station doing oil changes and lube jobs, I was taught to spray the springs with something like WD-40.
    Trailers of course are different in that they accumulate more rust at a faster rate. I'm in salt water. When these puppies rust up they also tighten up, not to mention make noises. Wanna see a set of springs fly up in the air? Burn the center bolt off of a really rusty spring. (Disclaimer: do not try this at home!).

Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

I too, agree that WD-40 is probably not the best choice for long term use. It does dissipate quickly and is basically a water displacement (WD) spray.

I spray my leaf springs with Prolong synthetic lube. No noise from my springs and one application last for more than one launch. I had read on other forums that leaf spring failure might be caused by rusted leaf springs. Don't know if there is any evidence to support that claim.
    1997 Tracker Pro Deep V 17 - Mercury 75HP 3 cyl. 2 stroke

I have also used the motorcycle chain lube, it works pretty well, I spray mine down every 4th or 5th launch. Also a local mech has been adding a double layer of a teflon impregnated plastic between the spring leafs, says it is better than grease.

WD-40 is not the stuff to use on your leaf springs, it contains no silicone and therefore doesn't last that long. If you want longevity, try a rust inhibitor spray such as Rust Check or Krown, they actually creep into the tight spots and deter corrision as well as provide lubrication. Great stuff imo, I have been using it for years and I spray it on my trailers, cars and trucks. It won't hurt your electrical systems, it will help them as well.
    If you can't purchase it in the states, try LPS, Fluid Film, or any other penetrant that contains silicone..........Irv964
    2006 Lowe165 F&S
    2007 90 Merc 4 stroke
    19P Turning Point Hustler Prop

Admiral

I like chain lube, it sprays on thin and then as the solvents evaporate it leaves a somewhat thick lubricant that will stay in place for long period of time. Most of the other spray on products like WD 40 don't stay in place long enough to do much good, motor oil disappears too fast also. Some springs have plastic wear plates between them to eliminate contact.

But back to what Bond-o says "any grease is better than no grease at all"

Seaman
    Travel entire US extensively - currently in Florida.

I've noticed that many leaf springs down here in salty south Florida seem to be covered with something that looks like tar. Maybe it is just grease that has picked up a coating of road dust.

Hardware store that sells Bar and Chain Oil for a chainsaw. It is VERY sticky and will adhere better. The WD40 will clean the springs then spread bar and chain oil on them. It sticks to metal better than motor oil.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    WD 40?
    not really related....try WD on an ant bite...stops itching in seconds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast