Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: Harbor freight trailer

Quote Originally Posted by kenmyfam View Post
    Wow, what a strange thread !!!!
    Will be watching this with interest from the sidelines.
    Agreed!
    Usually, condescending remarks and name calling isn't the most effective way to get help from public forums.

Here in the USA we don't have the best laws and systems, but they are what we have and what we use. No country is a utopia. Don't like the US System? Try another country!

Having worked in the government, it nettles me when people think "the system" is against them. First off, there is no "system" and second "it" is not against anyone. The laws exist--for the most part-- for the good of the many. Thus, because of this concept, some will suffer--be it aggravation or monetary or whatever. Hell, I was on the receiving end a couple of times and I certainly did not like it, but, you don't see me crying. I worked within the parameters of "the system" and acheived a workable (for me) solution.

Thus: Whiners about the inequity of the law get no sympathy from me. They get some cheese to go with their whine.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing new under the sun, and being criticized from some of this replies from a obvious malacious comments moving to another country I bet some of you are flying pirate flags I fly a USA one myself.
    Merry Christmas

I've bought and sold so many rigs over the years that the admiral has taken to calling me Mr. Haney, yet while Arkansas does require trailer titles I've never had an issue on either side of a transaction including interstate deals. It's been my experience that one's attitude is the single greatest factor in the ownership transfer equation. An adversarial approach, which is clearly the one you have chosen, will get one exactly nowhere and is certainly not consistent with the ethics or beliefs you purport to espouse.
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, Square stern Ouachita canoe (finally confessed to the admiral) Cute little 2.5 Merc, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Blue Hole Sunburst; a piece of history (or a piece of something else if you ask the admiral)

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lived in Arkansas drove for cannon express many years ago long haul over the road.
    Thanks for all the response

Duane

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last post

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merry Christmas happy new year

Petty Officer 1st Class

has anyone figured out EXACTLY what this guy is asking??? i M SO lost and im usually pretty sharp about this. lol. if he is trying to register a trailer why not register it as home built with no title?? they will then issue a vin plate to attatch to his trailer.. or atleast in georgia they do. i work at a trailer manufacturer and our trailers are sold with a certificate of origin to take to the dmv and apply for a title in your state. each trailer has its own unique vin # and are all NATM compliant. we stamp the vin into the frame as well as multiple stickers in various locations..

He is asking about fraudulently registering a trailer with the vin from another
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnie
    But, where are the reevets?
    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day

Chief Petty Officer

The OP seems to be wondering why the DMV won't help in registering a trailer if it's sold without the correct paperwork--

Now, I'm not sure about every other state, but in Utah, a single axle trailer isn't required to have license plates, and therefore isn't required to be registered and/or titled. But you CAN register it if you wanted to. As for the DMV not helping: In Utah, if you want to register something, you simply need to have any form of law enforcement official examine your whatever-it-is-you-want-to-register. They have special forms for this, they make note of everything about the unit and it's serial number. They will even run a quick check of your S/N to see if it's listed as stolen. If there is no serial number, they'll arrange to have one made up for you.

Once you have the paperwork in order, you take it and get it registered. And probably pay fees and taxes on it!

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about the OP state but in NC on a trailer under 3500# they don't give a rats azz about documentation as long as you have current tag on it. Of course if it happened to be a stolen trailer or if the original owner contested it you could pay the consequences of that. But the chances of getting caught HERE with the wrong vin is nil as long as the tag fits the registered category (boat or utility). Not advocating anything and I would make an attempt to do it legally.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a bizarre thread. Yes, he's asking about fraudulently using the vin from a HF to register a trailer that he doesn't have the proper paperwork for, which is fraud and certainly not fitting for someone with a username that implies that he puts God first. based on his username, I have to wonder what kind of stuff must be running through his head. He clearly knows that what he's asking is the wrong thing to do, but he's trying to justify it by getting re-assurance from other people... If there's one thing I can't stand it's people who know they are not doing the right thing, but try to use religion to justify it.

Petty Officer 1st Class

AS for now the issue is one state will not validate anothers with all the states bueracy trying to do this legal seems impossible

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before making a judgement on this thread alot of these replies are imposing a question but inreality boating is about thinking and being out of the box within one man personal oppinions just life is a challenge when laws are imposed to restrict one mans freedoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last post I will try to be the ethical man

Quote Originally Posted by Godfirst View Post
    Last post I will try to be the ethical man
    But not a law-abiding one. Many forums would have deleted this thread for promoting illegal activities. You are also bordering on making a political statement, which is forbidden by the forum rules.
    Bob
    '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
    Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
    Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by Godfirst View Post
    Before making a judgement on this thread alot of these replies are imposing a question but inreality boating is about thinking and being out of the box within one man personal oppinions just life is a challenge when laws are imposed to restrict one mans freedoms
    This thread is not about being "out of the box" while boating or laws that "restrict one mans freedoms". It's about a guy who bought a trailer without getting the correct paperwork, and thinks that for some reason the he's entitled to circumvent the law to register it. The moral of the story is, do your homework before buying a trailer!

Fwiw, I almost bought a trailer like this (registered, but not to the seller, and seller had no title) but called the dmv to see what it would take to get it in my name... While the trailer was not reported stolen, they told me that the only way to get it into my name was with a court order to the person who it was registered to.... Since the dmv refused to tell me who it was actually registered to, and the seller didn't know... i just moved on and got something else.

The way I see it Godfirst, you have 2 ethically correct options:

1. Call your dmv/state patrol and verify that it's not stolen. If it's not stolen, sell the trailer as "no title/for parts" to someone else and move on. Maybe someone in a state with different trailer title laws will buy it, maybe someone needs parts from it.

2. Take the trailer back to the seller, tell him he's an jerk for selling you a trailer that can't be registered, and that you want your money back. (Good luck with that though). If the trailer IS stolen, report the guy who sold it to you to the police.

That's what I'd do.

Their is also one more option. I have been told you can register it in the state of Maine easily or their may be others and them move it to your home state. It is a shame that things get messed up and people have to resort to things like this.

http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/
    James & Deb

Bad Dog

If it aint broke your not having enough fun

my 1988 Riviera Cruzer pontoon rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1988-riviera-cruiser-526820.html

Petty Officer 1st Class

As posted above the seller lied to me it was a ebay purchase with a deposit and I know all about the options I have with that, I will have to be patient and have the dmv find the last registered seller or the trailer will just be a pile of parts.

Grow a set and move on.
    James & Deb

Bad Dog

If it aint broke your not having enough fun

my 1988 Riviera Cruzer pontoon rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=526820

Ebay has warning about buying vehicles needing to be registered. However they do have some remedies. Did you pay by paypal?

At any rate, no matter how you paid, contact ebay and see if they can help.

Then if they can not, suck it up and take it like a man.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes If you give me the money ill move on .........

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should of expected that above with a Rivera Cruiser we call that following the joness stay away from my slip...

Petty Officer 1st Class

Imm done God bless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ebay and paypal always side with the buyer, even if the buyer is wrong! There is a time limit (45 days from the purchase date) though, I would get on that right away. File an item not as described case, and explain your situation to them. If you used paypal, you should be able to get your deposit back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast