Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default Cleaning trailer plug connectors?

Does anyone have a quick fix to clean the male and female ends of a trailer connector that attaches to the back of a truck for the lights, brakes etc.? Somebody said to put brake fluid on them to clean the oxidation from the metal. Does that work? Any other suggestions?

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: Cleaning trailer plug connectors?

Personally, I use WD40 and fine grit emery cloth and that's only when they really need it.Spray the connector, slip the emery cloth over the end of a flat bladed screwdriver and rub it over the metal and you're done.I'd be concerned the brake fluid would break down the rubber or plastic body of the connector.

Prevention is better than cure.Cut the plug and socket off a spare harness and connect the now blank plug and socket to the truck and the trailer when they are not in use.Good luck.

Petty Officer 1st Class

WD-40 and a small round wire brush. Then dialetic grease on the pins.Walmart has plug covers to keep out the dirt & debri.

Lieutenant Commander

They're cheap. Dirt/grease is one thing that can be blown out with just about any solvent in a spray can, but in my opinion they're not worth trying to clean up if you indeed have some corrosion present. The last thing you want when towing in the dark is to have only 80% certainty that you have a good connection. I'd just buy a new matched set and replace both ends.

Petty Officer 1st Class

My connector on my truck was corroded real bad. I cut it off and replaced it with a new connector. I also moved it so that instead of being in the weather (under the truck bed) I moved it into the truck bed. I have a cover on the bed as well.End result - It's been several years and there is still no corrosion. - Brian

Captain

Electrical contact cleaner and protectant (Radio shack or The Source now) and an old toothbrush. If its really badly corroded don't waste the time trying to clean it. Buy a new end and replace it.

I've seen mechanics at our garage use a wire brush made for male and female ends. Our plugs at work are round so they won't work for my flat type. I have to believe someone makes a flat version of this but I can't seem to locate one.

DJ

I use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water ( in a small spray bottle, in my toolkit) to keep everything clean.WD-40 to protect.

Chief Petty Officer

Corrosion X after every use ... takes about 2.5 seconds.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your replies . I will try some of your ideas for cleaning the contacts. The connections are not corroded, just dirty.

Chief Petty Officer

The connections are not corroded, just dirty.Soap and water?

Seaman Apprentice

put some grease or vasoline on the ends

Seaman Apprentice

The best way to clean corrosion on electric wires is mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda into 8 ounces of water. Then either brush on or soak for 2 hours. Then clean and shine with steel wool or emery paper. For the female connector, use a round wire brush from a .22 rifle cleaning kit or a .18 air pistol cleaning kit.

Petty Officer 1st Class

but youre taking off the protection thats already gone.so youre back to square one replace the connectors tractor supply has all that stuff.when i back my trailer into the water i unplug it from the truck.

Seaman Apprentice

If you want protection there is a white paste that is available that is a conductor but will not allow the metal to oxidize.Under no circumstances put grease or vaseline on any electrical connection.

Captain

'If you want protection there is a white paste that is available that is a conductor but will not allow the metal to oxidize.'Its called dieletric grease. Available at most automotive suppliers. Expensive but effective.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the vehicle (female) end of the connector I use toothpaste (extremely mildly abrasive) or Soft Scrub (Comet Cleanser) on a Q-tip in a power drill. Flush with plenty of water then pack w/ dielectric grease. For the male portions, Scotchbrite.

One person suggested electrical contact cleaner (from Radio Shack or another electronics store). That was the best answer. Brake fluid, WD40, etc. will not clean the contacts although they may protect them from further corrosion.Spray the electrical contact cleaner onto the connections, brush wirh an old toothbrush (some contact cleaners come with a built in brush), and spray again to remove residue. Repeat if necessary. After cleaning, protect the connections with dielectric grease (available at auto parts stores). Dielectric grease will tend to pick up dirt so cover the plugs when not in use.
    Ron

2000 Camano Troll
    North Charleston, SC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Use electrical contact spray available from several manufacturers stocked by all home centers, Home Depot etc in the electrical dept. Also, keep from corroding by using electric contact paste for use in electrical connections of dis-similar metals. Use the paste to prevent corrosion and maintain good connectivity, and the spray to clean connections.WD-40 works well but the stuff that's made for electrical connections is the best...