Wrong year on title

Cool cat

Recruit
I hope someone can help me my step dad gave me his boat up in Michigan , i got it to Florida , He passed away its a 1976 Slick craft , i went to the tax office in FL to get the boat registered , the Hull number dose not match the year that is marked on the title , it says a 1977 butt , the boat is a 1976 so Fl , told me i had to go back to the manufacture of the boat to get it fixed before i can register it. So i researched who owns it and finds out its Terria yachts' and i emailed them and they said there is nothing they can do . that was before the owned it . So what do i do ? i don't want to throw out the boat i put way to much money into it and paid to much to transport it to FL

airshot

Rear Admiral
Had a similar issue here in Ohio. Had a hand written reciept along with title.Showed it all to the deputy registrar and had to fill out a statement about a typo error. Made out a new title to me and all was good. Sometimes it depends on what type of person is on the other side of the counter !!

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does the hin# on the boat match the hin on the title?
thats what I was thinking... if the HIN matches the boat and title, someone is just being pedantic..... but thats a government agency for you... they were probably due for their 1/4 hourly break, and didnt want to deal with customers.

kinda makes me glad AZ is a no title state.... I walked into Game and Fish with a CA title, and in less than 10 minutes had an AZ Certificate of Number.... all for $30. DMV would have required an inspection and a bunch of other hoops to be jumped through

airshot

Rear Admiral
If hin on hull matches hin on title there shouldn't t be an issue, the title is for ownership of the hull not the year. Years back I worked for a marina, boats and motors were titled by the serial number, the date was date of sale. Many boats and motors were sold a year or two after they were manufactured, so as long as they were brand new/ unused the date was sell date.

stresspoint

Ensign
people are being pedantic these days , it all about what's on the computers screen , not what's reality. tell them the boat was built in 1976 , sold in 1977.
should be easy for a humans to figure out , a computer , not so!

my Maxum was first registered as a Bayliner ( builder of the Maxum boat s back in 1999).
my boat was imported as a Bayliner into the country so all the paper work back then was done it said Bayliner,
HIN number came up as Bayliner when i went to get a new registration on it .
WELL , all hell broke loose in the DOT office when i put Maxum as the manufacture on my ne paper work.
if it was not for an elderly guy in the marine services knowing the story , the registration was never going to go through , it took well over 2 weeks of messing around just to eventually get involved with ""an actual person"" the had any clue about boats "this is marine services im talking about , you would think more than one person working there would know about boats and the way things were back in the early days of their manufacturing.

in your case it think it would be as simple , boats manufactured had the build years on the HIN , date on the DOT paperwork is the sale dat / year.

find someone that knows their shyt and you will be fine , other wise do as i did and stress until you get some common sense from a real person..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, my old SeaRay 190 was a late 2001 build registered/sold/titled in Wisconsin and then Florida as a 2002