What size trailer winch?

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 Bayliner Trophy 2459 that weights about 4000lbs. My cable trailer winch just snapped and looking at replacements they only go up to 3000lbs. Is that sufficient to pull it up on the trailer? Is not lifting it vertically... so not sure how these are rated.

Also how strong is the front eye hook? Feel like I'm putting a lot of strain on it when I winch the boat into the trailer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1989 Bayliner Trophy 2459 that weights about 4000lbs. My cable trailer winch just snapped and looking at replacements they only go up to 3000lbs. Is that sufficient to pull it up on the trailer? Is not lifting it vertically... so not sure how these are rated.
Pretty easy to calculate the exact force required based upon the weight of the boat and the angle of the ramp, but the fact of the matter is that manual winches are limited in pull based on the user's arm strength.

To keep the demand to a minimum, they lower the gear ratio making it easier to crank, but you take up less cable per turn of the handle. It's easier to crank, but you crank much longer in return.

Personally, I would get the largest 2 speed winch I could find (#3,200 I believe) and go from there.

Also how strong is the front eye hook? Feel like I'm putting a lot of strain on it when I winch the boat into the trailer.
The metal eye isn't going to break. You'll pull it out of the boat before the metal breaks

airshot

Rear Admiral
I just replaced my winch earlier this summer. My boat is less than 2K lbs, but, I have bad shoulders, torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders !! Heavy cranking is a big no no !! I bought a two speed winch from West Marine, nice quality, well made, best price for a quality winch anywhere. This makes cranking in a breeze !! Even though the gear ratio means more cranks, the cranking can be done with a finger.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Right... that's what I'm concerned with. How strong is that connection?
Unless that is damaged or flawed it should hold the weight of your boat. Many lift systems use the bow eye and two stern eyes to lift the entire boat ..same as your winch strap, the snap eye should surpase the rating on the strap itself.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 1500 lb winch would be more than enough to load a 4000lb boat, unless you were trying to lift it straight up.
If you have a Roller Trailer, a 1000lb Winch would be overkill

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A 1500 lb winch would be more than enough to load a 4000lb boat, unless you were trying to lift it straight up.
If you have a Roller Trailer, a 1000lb Winch would be overkill
Good to know. Just wasn't sure if that lb rating was for actual pull rating or just was size boat is meant for.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thank you. So a 3000lb winch should be sufficient to pull a 4000lb boat into a trailer?
My winch is way over rated for the weight of my boat, but at 73 yrs old, I needed to make it easy, not fast !! Even with the easy slow, low gear it only adds a minute or two to the cranking time....but oh so much easier !