Volvo Penta KAD32 Engine Issue

amatas08

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a Volvo Penta KAD32. I had an issue with main engine belt failing. I have now replaced this belt and all other engine belts.

When I start the engine and let it idle there is a noise that kicks in after about 30 seconds. I think it is the super charger kicking in ( as the outer pulley on the supercharger starts to spin at the same time as the noise kicks in.)

I am not reving the engine for this to happen

If anyone can let me know is this normal. I would of thought that the engine would need to be reved above 1000rpm for the supercharger to kick in.

Once it kicks in it does not stop.

Any help is apprec
iated

Thanks

J R E

Recruit
Hi All,

I have a Volvo Penta KAD32. I had an issue with main engine belt failing. I have now replaced this belt and all other engine belts.

When I start the engine and let it idle there is a noise that kicks in after about 30 seconds. I think it is the super charger kicking in ( as the outer pulley on the supercharger starts to spin at the same time as the noise kicks in.)

I am not reving the engine for this to happen

If anyone can let me know is this normal. I would of thought that the engine would need to be reved above 1000rpm for the supercharger to kick in.

Once it kicks in it does not stop.

Any help is apprec
iated

Thanks
I’ve recently had a similar problem. Mine was cutting in at 1500 rpm but not cutting out until it blew the trip.
Replacing the supercharger clutch cured the problem.
Supercharger should cut in at about 1500rpm and cut out at 2200 to 2500 rpm..
Reasonably easy to replace, just need cir-clip pliers.
Not a cheap fix, a genuine clutch from Volvo was £450.
Hope this helps.