trolling motor assembly

jim wedlake

Recruit
Mine has low speed resistors by the magnets.
How do I hold the brushes open to get the rotor back in?
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Would be good to post a pic showing the brushes so we could have a better idea of how to do it.

A trick I've used is string. Tie the brushes back using string, then when armature is installed cut and remove strings. Don't know if this would work in your case because I would need a pic

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
zip ties, mechanics wire, string (as indicated above) all can be used, depending on the brush holder style.

jim wedlake

Recruit
Welcome
Would be good to post a pic showing the brushes so we could have a better idea of how to do it.

A trick I've used is string. Tie the brushes back using string, then when armature is installed cut and remove strings. Don't know if this would work in your case because I would need a pic
Thanks, that worked great and was familiar but I had forgotten that trick. Must be a disposable motor since a low speed wire was actually SOLDERED to the otherwise removable brush assy!!

Now on to the switch which is marked Minn Kota. I'd hoped to clean it's contacts but may not be able to open it easily. Looks expensive. Thanks again.

jim wedlake

Recruit
Welcome

Thanks. This was complicated because the wires to the low speed shunt resistors behind the magnets, prevented the stator housing from being moved much away from the brush assy plate.

Any thoughts on the switch?

Looks like you're near our son in Palmetto. Thanks again.