Trim switch wiring review

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
As i was replacing my shift/throttle control i came across something that seems odd to me. New to me boat and the shift control had seen better days so i decided to replace. Also the trim up/down was not working. Upon dissasembly i noticed wires crimped together and others broken. What i found was green and purple with white stripe crimped to the green trim wire. I am unsure if they belong together as i have found several shadetree fixes on this boat. Trim wise i have so far blue to blue, red to red w/blue stripe and green to green & purple w/white stripe. Is this configuration normal?

alldodge

Staff member
Red will be hot all the time
Blue is up (sky)
Green is down (grass)
Purple is trailer which bypasses the trim limit in the drive
VP Trim 50 57 Gi GXi.jpg

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the green and purple with stripe supposed to be spliced together at the controler?

alldodge

Staff member
No, it should go thru the trailer switch and get connected to the blue. If it was spliced to the blue then this would be done to bypass the trim limit on the drive

This old style but shows how internal wiring is done
Power Trim 2 Solenoid.jpg

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see... let me track down the wiring to see where this mess ends up at. Clearly someone just spliced and jerry rigged without proper info.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the factory volvo penta drive service manual has a fantastic wiring and troubleshooting section in the back towards the index