Trilux 33 or Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier for outdrive/prop/etc

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Have I been missing the boat on this one???? I have used Trilux33 aerosol for approx 30 years on my outdrives and props and trim tabs. Lately price has gone just over $50 a can the can has gotten smaller over the years .Its 10 or 12 oz these days.I notice that most boat yards have been coating props and rudders and trim tabs with Prop coat barrier(flat medium gray) The can is extremely heavy in weight compared to Trilux 33 .There seems to be quite a bit higher concentration of Zinc which protects and anti fouls and quite a bit more of the product in the can.Almost double the content and is approx $35 a can.Im using the Prop coat Barnacle barrier this year and can't help feel like I have been missing the boat on this one??? Anyone else use these products?? Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Damn!!! This must have been a heck of a question...... anyone.....anyone.....
Buhler......Buhler.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Hey Charlie I have wondered about that as well because Trilux is crazy expensive and has been the last few years. It’s all I ever used but when my supply of it runs out I’d consider switching…

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS
I only use the spray in the inaccessible areas in the transom mount. The rest I brush on 2 coats. I find this more economical because the spray is thin too thin to really work.

tpenfield

Staff member
I stopped buying the spray can stuff (of Trilux 33 and similar) and buy the quart can. Then I thin it down a bit for spraying as needed. If you apply Trilux 33 with a roller - it works pretty well.

Props typically are getting only the zinc spray (aka Cold Galvanizing Compound) Sometimes I add a spray of Trilux 33 to the props as an added measure. (ocean waters)

The only downside is that you loose a bit on performance with all the anti-fouling paint on the prop.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Hey Charlie I have wondered about that as well because Trilux is crazy expensive and has been the last few years. It’s all I ever used but when my supply of it runs out I’d consider switching…
Hey Lou, Will let you know .I did my props and 2 sets of trim tabs. Way more coverage than Trilux ,larger can and got it on sale at West last month for $26.....its usually $36 .Trilux is up to $55.I walk thru several marinas and I see all of them using the gray Prop Coat Barnacle buster so I had to try it.Im still going to coat my drives with Trilux for 2 reasons ,Reason 1 is that I have a full can and reason 2 is that I dont want fouled outdrives, that can be a BIG mess.Fouled trim tabs I can live with.Like I said.....will let you know.Charlie