Transom Bearing Plate Leak

KressA223

Recruit
I have 1988 Four Winns freedom 160 with the OMC cobra 3.0 liter engine. Recently was purchased and was told it does not leak. I took it out about 3 weeks ago and it indeed leaks. I replaced my bellows and seals. It doesn’t leak as much as did before but now leaks out of a small drain hole for the transom. The part is called a bearing plate and is leaking through the middle hole. I have no clue where the water is leaking from and or how it getting that hole. Any tips would help. Thanks

kenny nunez

Captain
There is a good chance the wood in the transom is soft and the water is coming in under the outer transom shield. In other words, the transom has to be replaced. The engine and drive system have to be removed and the boat has to go to a fiberglass shop. $$$

KressA223

Recruit
There is a good chance the wood in the transom is soft and the water is coming in under the outer transom shield. In other words, the transom has to be replaced. The engine and drive system have to be removed and the boat has to go to a fiberglass shop. $$$
Okay…is there a chance that it could leaking through the Y-Pipe or cracked line? It leaks the same when the engine is off or on.

alldodge

Staff member
Y pipe maybe
Use you phone and take a vid. The phone will go where your head will have issue with

KressA223

Recruit
The hole in the center of the two bolts leaks in a pretty consistently stream about the size of the round opening. Would plugging the hole stop water from coming in?

kenny nunez

Captain
If it only leaks with a flush out on the drive and the engine running on dry land then the “Y” pipe is the culprit. If it does not leak then the transom itself is the problem.

matt167

Captain
i would inspect that boat carefully. I actually have a ‘86 Freedom 160 with 3.0 Merc as an engine donor for my starcraft. That boat is Rotted bad. The transom is like a hollow core door and the deck is wavy. Previous owner was actually running it on the water.