Thinking about trading my 300 Sundancer for 270 Sundancer, is the 270 more econmical?

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1985 300 Sundancer and I am looking to down size to something a little more econmical. My dad has a 26' Bayliner with a 5.7 and it is so much more econmical so I though something similar would be nice. I found a guy who has a 83' 270 with a single 454 who wants to trade. I understand the Sea Ray is a heavier boat then the bayliner but I think the 454 would not have to work as hard. My 300 has twin 5.7's and I was wondering if the single 454 would be more econmical? Both boats are in very good shape and have fresh bottom coats. Lately I feel like I am just pouring money into the fuel tanks of the 300. Thanks for any input!

Maxheadroom

Recruit
Re: Thinking about trading my 300 Sundancer for 270 Sundancer, is the 270 more econmi

I think it all boils down to hourly burn rate, what does it cost an hour to run the boat. I would also say one engine cheaper to maintain than two. but then if one went out you would have a backup. 454 in the motor carriage world is not an economical engine, in the water it may be a different story. I have a 350 in my 250 sundancer and my dad tells me it would probably burn less an hour than his 90 Johnson on his 17 foot bass boat, so you just have to check out the hourly cost of operation and as long as the rest of the boat is in good shape then you should be OK!