Swap External Power Trim on 1984 Black Max to Integral One

runninfarmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I recently bought a 1984 Mercury 150 Black Max, serial number 6551999. To my dismay, I saw the hydraulic hose hookups and the seller didn't include the external trim pump that goes in the boat and he's 3 hrs away. To make a long story short, can I convert that style trim to the integral one where the rams and pump are all inside the transom bracket? Is it as simple as removing the trim ram and putting that trim on, or do I need the appropriate trim bracket to match that power trim?

I've checked diagrams on Boats.net and am having issues determining if this swap is even feasible. I appreciate the help!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Nope you willl need a new style midsection a nd swivel to make it work.

runninfarmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I found a transom bracket, swivel brack, and power trim package that will swap out. One question I have is where the trim relay(s) are? Are they in the power head somewhere? I saw the starter solenoid is in the diagram for power trim components. Is that used somehow? Thanks!

runninfarmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes on powerhead...
I'm realizing now how much of a project and money sink this is lol. It's a different choke plate that the PTT solenoids attach to. Once I secure all the parts, I'll post some pics of the changeover.

runninfarmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering when someone would ask that lol. External pump cost me as much as an entire transom/swivel/power assembly and I don't really want extra hydraulic hoses. I also may flip the motor and I think it'd generally be more appealing with an integral unit. I'm not sure many people would really want an external pump that has to take up room in their boat. Granted, it is much easier to change a trim motor on that, but there are tons of trim motors out there for the integral unit. For me it was an easy decision, but it sucks that there's odds and ends that are adding up.