Starter

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The engine is a 5.0 2bbl carb but you need to know is it a Chevrolet or Ford engine. And if a Chevrolet is it the staggered bolt pattern or straight across. If a Chevy you can use the correct PMGR starter they are lighter smaller & spin the engine faster.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looked it up; it’s 5.0 Ford with a 2bbl carb, 1989 model year. So you’re looking for a small block Ford marine starter. I like ARCO for starters & alternators.

samuel103072

Recruit
The engine is a 5.0 2bbl carb but you need to know is it a Chevrolet or Ford engine. And if a Chevrolet is it the staggered bolt pattern or straight across. If a Chevy you can use the correct PMGR starter they are lighter smaller & spin the engine faster.
Sorry guys sort of new to boating but it is a Cobra motor so I take it is a Chevy? Would you happen to have the part

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure? That model number comes up as a Ford. Distributor in front = Ford
Distributor in back = GM/Chevrolet

samuel103072

Recruit
It is a Chevy bolt pattern is across would.yoi happen to be able to provide a part number or model#

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
First post a pic of the engine
The Chevrolet/GM starters are totally different than Ford

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the model number comes up as 1989 Ford 5.0 (as Lou indicated)

the OMC part number is NLA. however simply take your starter to your local starter and alternator shop and they can rebuild it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That or ARCO Marine makes nice starters & alternators.
The main thing with marine starters is keeping water off of them. They are spark shielded but not water proof!
If you can’t figure out their catalog call ARCO someone does answer the phone & tell them you need a starter for a marine Ford 5.0.

old-outboard

Cadet
A suggestion would be be to take your old Chevy starter to a starter/alternator place and get a newer style magnetic MARINE starter. they are way smaller and turn the motor over much faster. They will be able to give you the right one from looking to your old starter. They are cheaper to buy at the starter store than at a marina. I have one on my 3.0L cobra and works great.