Smoke, high temps and louder than normal

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I went last night to fill up the power steering fluid in the boat and make sure I am good on that since it was sitting lower than it should have. When doing this I had to run the engine and noticed the smoke/smell of fuel pretty fast but figured that was because it was cold and the engine was louder than normal. I then went to the wheel to turn it to work the power steering and noticed the temps were going up very fast, much faster than normal. I shut the engine off and came home.

Any ideas what it might be? I am taking it to a mechanic soon hopefully to have them look at it and repair it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water pump impellers need to be replaced about every 5 years.------Best investment you can make and easy to do.

SkaterRace

Water pump impellers need to be replaced about every 5 years.------Best investment you can make and easy to do.
Hmm that would be awesome if it was that. Any idea how big of a job that is on a Mercury 225XL OB? I've only ever had in/out before.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Impeller replacement is the same on most motors. The gearcase must come off, the impeller, wearplate and 2 gaskets must be replaced, as a minimum. If the cup in the waterpump top is scratched, replace that. If the waterpump base is melted or the driveshaft seal is bad, replace the waterpump base.

SkaterRace

Boat is going in tomorrrow to see what is wrong with it. I did some testing and looking into what I could on the engine and YouTube. Came back pretty much with just about everything is well beyond my mechanical ability and that I really should take it to my mechanic to see what he says.