Outdrive Pressure test Question

Connor0612

Cadet
Greetings, new comer to the forums here.

I removed my 1998 Volvo SX and found that a very small amount of oil has gathered around the bottom of the prop shaft. So I put a prop shaft seal on order and drained the oil.
For shits and giggles I pressure tested the unit and it held steady for 10 minutes at 15psi, even while spinning the shaft.

Question is, how reliable is the pressure test and should I still be changing the prop shaft seal?

On a side note, is there any reason someone would have drilled a hole in my prop shaft? Should I fill the hole with weld?

Photo attached

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1856.jpeg
    IMG_1856.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings, new comer to the forums here.

I removed my 1998 Volvo SX and found that a very small amount of oil has gathered around the bottom of the prop shaft. So I put a prop shaft seal on order and drained the oil.
For shits and giggles I pressure tested the unit and it held steady for 10 minutes at 15psi, even while spinning the shaft.

Question is, how reliable is the pressure test and should I still be changing the prop shaft seal?

On a side note, is there any reason someone would have drilled a hole in my prop shaft? Should I fill the hole with weld?

Photo attached

TIA
the outdrive is the draining it every year in the fall october ... then the air pressure 7-10 psi. inside the oil outdrive .. 24 hrs ....
the outdrive is take it of of the engine october ......all those seals spray it ... no bubbles ..then the grease -cleaning it ...

matt167

Captain
You could try a little vacuum to test the seals the other way. You wouldn’t want much but a mighty vac would work.

Connor0612

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it. I need to get another drain seal then I’ll do a vacuum test and see if my results change

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it. I need to get another drain seal then I’ll do a vacuum test and see if my results change
well the outdrive 7-10psi ... 24hrs ....
the psi air pressure is the soap spray outdrive is the bubbles !

Connor0612

Cadet
I’ve confirmed I have a small oil leak at the prop shaft seal. Also appears that somebody has installed it backwards with the sealing side facing out (I can see the spring in the seal).

Anyone know the best place to get an online workshop manual for a 1998 Volvo penta sx? Anyone have the Haynes one?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I’ve confirmed I have a small oil leak at the prop shaft seal. Also appears that somebody has installed it backwards with the sealing side facing out (I can see the spring in the seal).

Anyone know the best place to get an online workshop manual for a 1998 Volvo penta sx? Anyone have the Haynes one?
there are two prop seals. one facing inward to keep oil in, one facing outward to keep water out.

the only place to get factory manuals if from volvo penta. https://www.volvopenta.com/en-us/your-engine/manuals-and-handbooks/

a haynes manual is only good if you run out of toilet paper or knee pads.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If I remember right, there are several Youtube video`s online to reference before starting the task.

Connor0612

Cadet
there are two prop seals. one facing inward to keep oil in, one facing outward to keep water out.

the only place to get factory manuals if from volvo penta. https://www.volvopenta.com/en-us/your-engine/manuals-and-handbooks/

a haynes manual is only good if you run out of toilet paper or knee pads.
Ah, good to know! Thanks. I haven’t seen a double sided lip seal like this one before. I tried the Volvo penta link you sent and according to my engines serial number T01311839 it doesn’t have any info.

Connor0612

Cadet
If I remember right, there are several Youtube video`s online to reference before starting the task.
Nice I’ll check them out. Just whipped up a prop shaft bearing carrier tool. It’s not the prettiest but I’m just going for functionality 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ah, good to know! Thanks. I haven’t seen a double sided lip seal like this one before. I tried the Volvo penta link you sent and according to my engines serial number T01311839 it doesn’t have any info.
You most likely have to contact them because they pulled the info for stuff 25+ years old a few years back

There should be an email link