Older Ranger Inboard

Idaho Kid

Recruit
I have an early 70's 18' tri-hull with an inboard/outboard. We bought it used with a ford car engine in it which the former owners installed. That engine has gone bad now and I am looking for a source for a rebuilt or new marine engine. I don't know what was originally in it. We have done a lot of restoration on this boat i.e. new floor and carper, rewired the whole boat so I am hoping to find an engine source. Thanks for any input.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
You posted in the VP section so is the drive a VP?

Mentioned a Ford motor, how many cylinders?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are going to have to post pictures of the motor and drive

kenny nunez

Captain
It could be either a Waukesha, Holman Moody, or even a Genuine Volvo. The main thing is it has the adapter housing, along with the external brackets for a small block Ford.
As Scott said lets see some pictures.

Idaho Kid

Recruit
Sorry guys, work got in the way. Thanks for all your input.
It is a ford engine, the former owner said it was a 302. I'll try and get some pictures in the next few days. Being an outboard guy the I/O is new to me. I noticed that when we would use it and then it would set for a couple of weeks, the next time I started it on the lake lots of rust water would come out. Last year when I went to change the oil, I had water in the oil. Question, should I look for a specific marine engine so we don't get the rusting inside?

captmello

Captain
those ford's in the 70s where known as the AQ190 for the 302 and AQ240 for the 351. if the block is cracked, causing the water in the oil, then yes, a new block is needed. but it's hard to say what's really wrong without pressure testing and/or tearing down the motor. the heads could have damage and I would assume the exhaust manifolds are shot. unless the rest of the boat is in great shape, and it's perfect for your needs, it may not be practical to repower at this point.

captmello

Captain
those ford's in the 70s where known as the AQ190 for the 302 and AQ240 for the 351. if the block is cracked, causing the water in the oil, then yes, a new block is needed. but it's hard to say what's really wrong without pressure testing and/or tearing down the motor. the heads could have damage and I would assume the exhaust manifolds are shot. unless the rest of the boat is in great shape, and it's perfect for your needs, it may not be practical to repower at this point.
I reread your original post, didn't realize all the work you had done.
I'm not real familiar with the Ford V8, but I'd imagine most 302s with a marine cam and marine electronics and accessories would work. there is no such thing as a marine specific block.
some parts may be very hard to find.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Know your firing order before looking for parts. The marine 302 had 2 firing orders. The 302 camed ones had the 302 firing order. The ones running a 351 cam had the 351 firing order

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have a 302 with a 2 barrel carburetor like SD posted it could have either firing order. If it has a 4 barrel carburetor a good chance it will be
1386273. There were hp versions 170 and 190. 170 is 15426378. And then to further cause problems if the engine was a 190 and rebuilt by someone who swapped the standard cam the trials and error with both orders is all you can do to find out for sure. looking down on the distributor cap starting from #1 ccw just follow the wires.
Many years ago someone brought me a boat that was popping back where their 188 Merc is now a 170, it took me a little while to figure out what happened.